Very sensitive new Hallsensor available

Moderator: Moderators

Very sensitive new Hallsensor available

Postby bbernhard » 17.03.2016, 22:13

Hi colleagues
Some of you already know that I am working for german chipmaker in Hall sensor development group.
A few days ago our newest sensor product was officially released to marked. There was already some rumor in german forum section, but now I am allowed to talk officially.
Since it might be very interresting as feedback sensor like the well known TLE4905 I will tell you little bit about.

It is a the brand new linear 3D Hall sensor : TLE493D
http://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/ ... 105a8a001c

3D means this one is sensitive in all 3 directions and it is working as magentic flux meter. Which is different to TLE4905 which is working as a switch similar as a reed relay does.
This means the user can read the magnetic fieldstrengh from this sensor and do his own processing of the data. This offers much options like very low and therefore sensitive thresholds. Disadantage is that a uC to is needed to communicate with the sensor.

Here I had dropped a short demo video to visualize the sensitivity:
https://youtu.be/4IxBNDZ2F3g

I used two bar magent, and a Arduino uC as host. The uC read the frieldstrengh and drive an LED when a defined threshold is reached.

The small magnet in the video is only 5x1x1mm and was able to be detected within ~1.5cm,
the bigger one is 10x5x1mm and was able to be savely detected within ~3-4cm distance.
The small black 2x3mm dot in the middle is the TLV493D I am talking about 8)
Unbenannt.JPG

Compared to the TLE4905 this is 3-4 times wider!
The new TLV493D has a couple of more fancy options, but i guess they are not that interresting for our use case.
If you are interested to play with i can offer to populate a demo code for Arduino.

The first batches had been deliverd to distributors. So we can expect public availability within the next weeks.
btw. Mouser electronics is already selling it for 1,30€ per pice.

much fun
bb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bbernhard on 17.03.2016, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
HO Scale mostly from Kleinbahn and Roco -
OpenDCC GBMBoost, LightControl, TLE-S88-Bridge, LDT and some DiY stuff, Win10
bbernhard

Re: Very sensitive new Hallsensor available

Postby RedTrain » 17.03.2016, 22:29

Hi Bernhard

Thanks for posting, very interesting! :thumb_up:
Looks like a cool little bug, but maybe a bit on the fancy side for the typical simplistic use in the smaller scales.
Beste Grüsse / kind regards - Carlo

[H0m 2L DCC] Layout "Rhaetian Flyer" Swiss Proto-Freelance RhB+FO+zB; 6% completed, partly operational
W10, Ubuntu 16.04, Rocweb, andRoc; CANbus GC1e, GC3-ORD3, GC2, GC6; Bemo, Peco, handlaid;
RedTrain

Postby bbernhard » 17.03.2016, 23:36

Hi Carlo

Well, basically you are right. HO Scale do not realy need smaller sensors and magnet.
On the other hand do you remeber Peters Post where he showed how to hide a sensor in a railway sleeper ? That one used the same TSOP6 SMD package.
Smaller magnet would allow to hide it inside the lokomotive gear cover. So nothing visible from outside, furthermore no glue marks if you plan to sell you loco.

For us in HO gauge Iam thinking about situation where the scenery is already finished but for any reason you need aditional feedbacks.
If the senor sensitive enough you may simply glue it below the plate. No drilling on the top which destroys the scenery is necessary. (I see Rob smiling, because no more argument for feature request which avoid additional feedbacks)
For this situation the higher effort of an additional uC should be acceptable. If you need more sensors it make sense not to use the Arduino. Any smal AVR or PIC will do as well.

never stop thinking
bb
bbernhard

Postby Couchpotato » 19.03.2016, 14:03

Hi Bernhard,
do you think it is possible to use this sensor without any magnet, only the regular motor of the loco?
So no modification of any sort? (Scale H0 and N)

Faulhaber-motors are a special case.
Grüße von der CouchPotato (Ralph)
Lenz LZ100 V2.3 (uralt), LH100, LI100 Prolific-USB
Rautenhaus SLX852, SLX816, SLX815, Digitus-USB
Tams MC, padRoc, andRoc, iRoc
Meine Teppichbahn-Videos:
http://vimeo.com/user10112730
Couchpotato

Postby RedTrain » 19.03.2016, 18:01

Hi Bernhard

I remember viewtopic.php?f=81&t=10806 about hiding the SMD-type sensor, I am planning to use these packages for the visible parts of my layout.
Yes, hiding the magnet inside the locos and cars would be a nice step forward!
Beste Grüsse / kind regards - Carlo

[H0m 2L DCC] Layout "Rhaetian Flyer" Swiss Proto-Freelance RhB+FO+zB; 6% completed, partly operational
W10, Ubuntu 16.04, Rocweb, andRoc; CANbus GC1e, GC3-ORD3, GC2, GC6; Bemo, Peco, handlaid;
RedTrain

Postby bbernhard » 19.03.2016, 20:51

Hi Chouchpotato

Yes, I had already tried to use the stray field of the motor and skip additionaly magnet. I would say for HO gauge this will not work.
I could make it work for some of my loco (from "Kleinbahn" brand) but for most others it did not work. eg. some Roco and Fleischmann.
Even if you can detect, it will not be a good solution, because some models have the motor is at the front, others have it in the middle. Some steamers have the motor in the tender.

Maybe it can detect for N scale but I have nothing to try. But still problem with motor position.

best rgds
bb
bbernhard

Return to DIY Hardware