ESP8266 NodeMcu Advice

Moderator: Moderators

ESP8266 NodeMcu Advice

Postby Dagnall » 11.06.2016, 16:14

I have been playing with Nodemcu versions of the ESP8266 wifi module with a lot of help from Liviu M, but I came across something that I thought I would put in a separate post as a help and warning if you are playing with these very interesting modules.
My first module was a "V2", and used the CP2102 interface.
The next two I bought were "V3" and were wider, and used the CH340G interface. There is a lot on the internet about how to install the drivers for these, but my experience was that the device would simply not be seen by the PC when I plugged it in.

In frustration I though I would try the second one that was sent, and it worked fine.
Close inspection showed that on the one that did not work, the CH340G interface IC had been installed in the wrong orientation.
If I had only bought one I would never have discovered this...
The photo shows the difference, bt you have to look very closely...
The one with the connected lead is working.
The alignment dot on the CH340G on the one that does not work was down by the "VIN" pin.
Hopefully this will help anyone with a similar issue...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dagnall

Re: ESP8266 NodeMcu Advice

Postby rjversluis » 11.06.2016, 16:22

where did you buy those boards?
I would send it back with pointing out the mal production.

We became used to dumping prices for hardware from the far east but thats not the way to go.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: ESP8266 NodeMcu Advice

Postby Dagnall » 11.06.2016, 17:02

I am requesting a refund, and advised the supplier before uploading..
They were bought on EBAY, from a UK supplier and were in sealed ESD packets, so I think its probably a QA issue at the Chinese Manufacturers. You cannot expect a re-supplier to open sealed packets and test each one individually..(although I think my supplier is going to be looking carefully at his stock now...)
Mine were £7 odd from UK supplier, who managed to send them next day delivery as part of the price, so I am not too cross with him, that was excellent service..I see him as a victim of the Chinese poor QA here.
I could have saved about £4 per board and got them direct from China, but did not want to wait in this case.
I consider it lucky that only one board had issues and that I spotted it.
I put the forum information up to help anyone who finds a similar issue..

In case you are interested, a lot of Arduino and ESP boards are going over to the CH340G interface chip as I understand the royalties are less on this chip.. there was some suggestion that the other chip manufacturer was asking $2 per chip royalties!..

rjversluis wrote:where did you buy those boards?
I would send it back with pointing out the mal production.

We became used to dumping prices for hardware from the far east but thats not the way to go.
Dagnall

Return to DIY Hardware