HowTo - Decoder63/OC32 in RocRail

Moderator: Moderators

HowTo - Decoder63/OC32 in RocRail

Postby degraaff » 30.07.2016, 17:33

Decoder63 is an BYOD accessory decoder for basic 2-state accessories and drives 63 ports with two gates (pins) each. The decoder has originally been designed by Kees Moerman to be driven via a parallel port interface by Koploper (Koploper Forum), but lately also an USB interface has been made available in Koploper using the OM32/OC32 -module developed by Leon van Perlo (PVEB). However, a ready to use interfacing with RocRail] has not been found by the author.
A contraption has been crafted to put the Decoder63 at work within RocRail, using an USB serial or DCC connection to a suitably configured OC32 module as decoder interface.

I prepared a HowTo which documents the steps to take in order to get Decoder63 doing its job in RocRail. Some minor constraints and trade-offs apply, though.

For anyone who is interested I can provide (just too large to be able to attach here) the document and spreadsheet tool for generating the proper configuration definition files for the OC32.

Thijs de Graaff
degraaff

Re: HowTo - Decoder63/OC32 in RocRail

Postby degraaff » 13.08.2016, 20:27

As of today the HowTo (latest and greatest version 2.2) is available for download from my personal X-fer site https://www.mpxf.nl/index.php/en/menu-en/brainz4trainz

I need some help, though. I can control the switches, but I do have problems addressing the signals.

For switches I can just enter in the fields Parameter and Value the two aspects to control it.
    For signals I can issue the proper aspects manualy, but I need an automatic way of control by RocRail.

To get the feeling about the Decoder63 device: think of a signal box with 63 levers. Each lever is controlled by two aspects of that signal box. Imagine I need to pick the aspects, say for lever 5 (addressed with aspects 8 and 9). The interface of RocRail would assume addressing the lever number and then aspect 0 and 1. However, in my case I have to address the signal box and control the proper lever by selecting the proper aspect pair (mostly different from 0 and 1).

I hoped for a similar solution as worked for the switches, but I can't find it. Anyone to help me out?

Thnx a lot!
degraaff

Postby rjversluis » 14.08.2016, 06:43

Why not using the OC32 directly without the Decoder63 detour?
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby degraaff » 14.08.2016, 13:44

Why Decoder63?

- Because I already own it,
- Because it allows per OC32 up to 4x63 = 252 ports instead of 16 (you need the OC32 anyway, though)
- Because it is (was at least) cheaper per port (of course depending on the number you actually use ;-) )
- Because I like soldering, may be too 8)

But, yes, the OC32 offers much more: is more flexible, more versatile, etc. It is a super product... :thumb_up:
degraaff

Return to DIY Hardware