Beaglebone Black

Moderator: Moderators

Beaglebone Black

Postby Richard-TX » 14.03.2014, 17:35

I got a BBB (finally) and have spent some time with it. I did learn a few things.

Forget Angstrom. If ever there was a brain-dead and still-born OS, this is it. YMMV
Ubuntu seems to the the clear winner. Quick to install, quick to boot. Debian is also good but it takes too long to install.

Rocrail and Rocview compiles and runs without issue. Just follow the instructions for Ubuntu. Additional "drive" space is needed so the mounting of a SD card as a file system is a must.

Compilation time is much better than the Rpi. About 30 minutes to build all of Rocrail.

Rocnetnode needs a little work. Rocnetnode writes directly to the GPIO I-O pins which is hardware specific. Setting up the GPIO for I2C does not seem to exist which is a good thing in my opinion.

I will be working on the BBB port of Rocnetnode over the next several weeks. I will post the changes as a patch. The installed base of BBB computers is so small that official support is unwarranted and unnecessary.

That is about it.

Richard
Richard
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas USA
Richard-TX

Re: Beaglebone Black

Postby Richard-TX » 21.03.2014, 04:27

Rob,

WHen building Rocrail on the BBB (an ARM processor) Rocrail likes to call it a Linux build. Does it really matter if it is detected as an ARM or as Linux?

Richard
Richard
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas USA
Richard-TX

Re: Beaglebone Black

Postby rjversluis » 21.03.2014, 11:54

Richard,

Linux is the OS and Intel or ARM the platform; In both cases its Linux.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Return to DIY Hardware