rocrail, ib-com, loconet (unli) motorola protocol

Moderator: Moderators

Postby hclaassens » 03.07.2011, 13:33

I've changed my rocrail controller from ddx to loconet. I'm using a brand new ib-com with factory settings in unli mode. I'm able to switch the power on and off and control locos which have dcc decoders built in ( Lenz, Uhlenbrock). Controlling a loc with motorola protocol, the S3/6 (Marklin 37185) is NOT possible. According to the trace file it is a 28 step thing, while I think it is a 14 step one. Controlling the turnouts is also not possible, which are also motorola protocol.

I think I'm missing something, could anybody please help me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hclaassens on 27.08.2011, 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
hclaassens

Postby Besra » 03.07.2011, 15:30

Hi (Hans?),

after having a brief look at your files I did not find any misconfiguration in Rocrail. That part should be OK...

If you have problems with the Motorola protocol only, please have a look at the IB-Com's documentation: At least the 'old' IB required to choose the protocol from a menu, if not standard (standard may be DCC nowadays).
Rocrail relies on the protocol settings of the IB. Choosing the protocol in Rocrail does not do anything in this case (you may leave the protocol to ServerDefined in Rocrail)

Best regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

Postby hclaassens » 03.07.2011, 16:25

Hi Besra,

Ok, so I need the ib_util.exe to configure some things inside the ib-com. Is it possible to use rocrail for that, because i'm running my modellrailroad on a linux pc.

best regards,
Hans
hclaassens

Postby Besra » 03.07.2011, 16:43

Hi Hans,

so I need the ib_util.exe to configure some things inside the ib-com

yep, 4.3 Settings – Basic Settings “Solenoid Data Format” and 4.5 Settings – “Locomotive Data Format Individual" ;)
Is it possible to use rocrail for that
I'm afraid not...

Best regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Besra

Postby hclaassens » 04.07.2011, 21:41

Hi Besra,

You were absolutely right!
I've added some loco's and changed the turnout protocol to motorola and it is starting to swing!

Thanks,
Hans
hclaassens

Postby Besra » 04.07.2011, 22:57

Hello Hans,

I am very pleased to hear that you were successful.
However, after having read the IB-Com manual (partly) I think it is not possible to control a mixed DCC / Motorola environment as far as the accessories are concerned - there's no "Solenoid Data Format Individual"? DCC or Motorola only! :oops:
Anyway, this hopefully does not affect you.

Best regards
Besra
Besra

Postby hclaassens » 05.07.2011, 06:24

Hi Besra,

I have not tried the mixed mixed DCC / Motorola environment as far as the accessories are concerned. Most of my decoders use Motorola, but I have one OpenDecoder planned to use for my signals.

I'll try to figure it out sometimes this week.

But the good news is my locos are driving much better compared to the ddx centrale. Also I can now read the cv's of Lenz LE1014 and LE103XF.
:D :D :D

Regards,
Hans
hclaassens

Postby hclaassens » 06.07.2011, 07:56

Hi Besra,

I did some testing last night and found that the ib-com uses the protocol configured with ib_util for controlling the accessoires. Setting in rocrail is NOT used at all. I've tested with signal sw3 in my layout.

I think that is the behaviour as you expected it.

I don't know if it is possble to use the rocrail setting or that the ib-com/ intellibox does not support that.
Maybe Rob can answer that?

I'll try to investigate further and let you know.

regards,
Hans
hclaassens

Postby Besra » 06.07.2011, 09:18

Hello Hans,

ib-com uses the protocol configured with ib_util for controlling the accessories. Setting in rocrail is NOT used at all. [...] I think that is the behaviour as you expected it.

Yes, usually if using a hardware CS the protocol is defined within (and generated by) the CS. Thus you cannot select the protocol from the software (i. e. for an individual command). Consequently you may leave the protocol in Rocrail to ServerDefined (for locos) or default (for accessories). Basically defining the protocol in Rocrail is necessary if using a software CS like DDX only (there are some exceptions like, e. g., the Marklin CS2).

Best regards
Besra
Besra

Postby hclaassens » 18.07.2011, 21:31

I've defined the loco's inside the ib-com and now I'm able to control locos with DCC-28 and Motorola protocol at the same time. So far, so good.

But I've found that if there is a short on the track and I resume the power again, the motorola loc starts to drive immediately, but the dcc one does NOT. It starts to drive automaticly after the slot purge time or if I change the speed, switch the lights on or off. If I use the ib-util to and do the same, they both start to drive!

Anybody knows howto solve this?

Best regards,
Hans

Besra wrote:Hello Hans,

ib-com uses the protocol configured with ib_util for controlling the accessories. Setting in rocrail is NOT used at all. [...] I think that is the behaviour as you expected it.

Yes, usually if using a hardware CS the protocol is defined within (and generated by) the CS. Thus you cannot select the protocol from the software (i. e. for an individual command). Consequently you may leave the protocol in Rocrail to ServerDefined (for locos) or default (for accessories). Basically defining the protocol in Rocrail is necessary if using a software CS like DDX only (there are some exceptions like, e. g., the Marklin CS2).

Best regards
Besra
hclaassens

Postby hclaassens » 20.07.2011, 21:08

I've solved it. I've performed a reset to the ib-com with ib_util and programmed SO #25 from 0 to 3. :D
My standard loc protocol is DCC28 and at this moment I've one exception which is set to Motorola neu. My default turnout protocol is Motorola. I don't use the s88 and loconet busses at this moment. My s88 busses are handled by DDX and one opendecoder for signals is also handled by DDX with the DCC protocol.

hclaassens wrote:I've defined the loco's inside the ib-com and now I'm able to control locos with DCC-28 and Motorola protocol at the same time. So far, so good.

But I've found that if there is a short on the track and I resume the power again, the motorola loc starts to drive immediately, but the dcc one does NOT. It starts to drive automaticly after the slot purge time or if I change the speed, switch the lights on or off. If I use the ib-util to and do the same, they both start to drive!

Anybody knows howto solve this?

Best regards,
Hans

Besra wrote:Hello Hans,

Best regards
Besra
hclaassens

Re: rocrail, ib-com, loconet (unli) motorola protocol

Postby hclaassens » 27.08.2011, 07:27

LOcs are driving, but I've problems with the refresh of the loc commands on the track. At the moment the ib-com is a NO GO!! :shock: :evil:

hclaassens wrote:I've solved it. I've performed a reset to the ib-com with ib_util and programmed SO #25 from 0 to 3. :D
My standard loc protocol is DCC28 and at this moment I've one exception which is set to Motorola neu. My default turnout protocol is Motorola. I don't use the s88 and loconet busses at this moment. My s88 busses are handled by DDX and one opendecoder for signals is also handled by DDX with the DCC protocol.
hclaassens

Return to Loconet