[solved] Loconet to mgv50 cable

Moderator: Moderators

[solved] Loconet to mgv50 cable

Postby mcnaugg » 19.12.2013, 11:06

I have just completed building the MGV50 I/O unit apart from programming the chip and making up the connecting cable to the Digitrax DCS100.

I am a bit confused regarding the connections of the cable ends i.e. RG12 and RS232 (9 pin).

In the Wiki doc for the MGV50 it lists the connections to the 9 pin connector using Cat5 cable giving the cable colors etc. In the Digitrax manual for the DCS100 there is also a listing for the LocoNet Cable but there seems to be a number of differences between the two cable signals.

In the Digitrax manual it list 2 x Rail Sync plus 2 x LocoNet and 2 x Ground signals but in the MGV50 wiki there is only one Loconet signal shown plus 2 x ground signals and a +V supply. The two Railsync signals are also shown with a + and - polarity.

Also the normal ethernet connection uses an 8 pin connector whereas the LocoNet is a 6 way.

Where am I going wrong?
mcnaugg

Postby RainerK » 19.12.2013, 11:37

Hi mcnaugg,

the loconet lines 3+4 in RJ12 connectors are the same signal and are connected together in the terminating units.
So You only need to connect them together at the transition between RJ12 and D-SUB 9.
Regarding Your description above, the other lines GND and railsync should be clear ?

In the first table here: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=mgv ... onnections
You can see, that +V and GND are both using 2 pins at the connectors and additional GND
use overall 3 wires in the CAT cable, so here are 8 wires needed for 5 connections.

Best Regards
RainerK
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby mcnaugg » 19.12.2013, 15:01

Hi Rainerk

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I think I've got it now. Actually in the MGV-hardware manual by N. Schreurs on page 9 there is para 1.3 which describes the connections between the two.

As the saying goes "When in doubt read the manual"

Many thanks

Gareth
mcnaugg

Return to Loconet