[rejected] Display overview and different sets of modules

Moderator: Moderators

[rejected] Display overview and different sets of modules

Postby skippa » 22.10.2015, 15:26

Hi,

My layout contains several stations which I have so far displayed in one overview. For playing with other people, I would like to have the alternative to display only one Station per tab in rocweb. Since most of the time I am playing alone, I would like to have the possibility to switch between the views quick and easy, and I dont want to have multiple files with the same content.

I thought, modular Layout would be the solution. Display the arrangement/overview in one level and the stations in another, maybe using different instances of rocview.
But due to the fact that my arrangement is overall circular, I can not just cut it in two but I need to define the corners as separate modules. This then leads to the situation that one Station to be displayed on one tab consits of two or three modules and cannot be displayed as a whole.

Is it possible to introduce module sets to one level of a modular plan and a different set of modules in another level/tab?
Maybe with a module plan (displayed on one level) that contains a module master plan for itself?
It might also be a possibility to run multiple instances of rocview, but what do I tell the Server to run as Masterplan?

Any ideas appreciated.
Jens
Last edited by skippa on 23.10.2015, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
skippa

Re: Display overview and different sets of modules

Postby rjversluis » 22.10.2015, 15:35

Hi Jens,

also circular layouts can easily be converted into (logical) modules.
For example the typically starter set oval with one a station at the bottom of it can be cut into 4 (logical) modules:
1: The left curve of the oval
2: Th bottom station
3: The right curve of the oval
4: The main track at the top of the oval
Best Regards, Rob.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby skippa » 22.10.2015, 15:48

Hi Rob,

yes, I can convert the circle into for logical modules.

Now imagine there is another Station in the Main track of module 4
I would linke to display, each in one tab
1) overall plan Modules 1+2+3+4
2) left curve + bottom Station, module 1+2
3) top Station + right curve, module 3+4

is this possible?

Best
Jens
skippa

Postby rjversluis » 22.10.2015, 16:00

skippa wrote:is this possible?

Yes/No; All in one tab or every module in one.
If modules are logically one it should be defined as one in Rocrail.

-tabview
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=gui-cmdline-en
Moduleview
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... en#options

Just read the Wiki.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby skippa » 22.10.2015, 16:17

Rob,

wiki read and understood so far (I believe). I can not define the modules as they should be logically because then the connections do not work, i.e. Station Entry signals/tracks both facing south or not ending at the module edge. And/ or the modules overlap so that the background of box shape modules covers tracks of other modules. So I have to split them into shorter sections but then I can not display them setwise.
Changing shapes isn't an Option too because then I would not be able to use the overview any longer.
I hope a Screenshot makes the Problem more obvious:

IMG_20151022_173046.jpg

The top Station consists of Sonneby (lilac, green, dark blue, light blue) but defined like this it would visually cover orange and I think the connections won't work. Similar problem when I try logically separate the fiddleyard from all the other (which I intend to do).
Any Chance of changing the background of the modules to transparent? This would be an workaround since connections are not needed if routes are defined manually.

Best
Jens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skippa

Postby rjversluis » 22.10.2015, 16:57

jens,

just check the examples:
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=plan-f:plan-f-en
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=mgv:mgv-modules

The background color can be set for every module.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby skippa » 22.10.2015, 17:05

Will do.
The background color can be set for every module.

To transparent?

Jens
skippa

Postby rjversluis » 22.10.2015, 17:10

skippa wrote:To transparent?

No, why? There is nothing behind it to show.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby skippa » 22.10.2015, 17:14

Yes, there is: Other modules in the arrangement. This would be an appropriate workaround to my Problem.

Best,
Jens
skippa

Postby rjversluis » 22.10.2015, 17:30

Jens,

levels in module view is nonsense and is/will be not supported.
Rethink your layout representation in Rocrail.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby skippa » 22.10.2015, 21:07

Rob,
rjversluis wrote:levels in module view is nonsense

please allow me a different opinion here. Even in "real" modular layout it happens, that one station master controls several modules at the same time, i.e. a track diversion right behind a station. It is much easier for the station master if he can overview a set of modules at one time. Of course it is just a part of the whole plan, but never the less a set consisting of multiple modules.

I do have the same problem here. I do want to control in ONE Overview the station "Sonneby" (north in the plan), the adjactent entry signals (on the tracks on the left/right) AND the station down below (Eiderhafen, Blocks beginning with "Eh"), now connected through a connector.
Another view should hold the Fiddleyard and the S-shaped double track.

and is/will be not supported.

This I will have to accept I am afraid :cry: or learn how to program myself :coding:

Rethink your layout representation in Rocrail.

I am, hardly, believe me. But I have not come to a satisfying solution so far:
A stretched version of Sonneby may hold everything that's needed. However, the representation diverts very much from reality and is therefore more difficult to understand for unfamiliar station masters. And I do not like stretched versions, because they eat up screen space.
SonnebyModularStretched.png

However, the station in the middle (Eiderhafen) of the orange space two pictures above is indeed built modular an can be connected. It runs its own rocrail server with its own plan file which I intended to introduce into the modular layout. So this station Eiderhafen I just can not put into the same module file than the Sonneby Station, at least not without maintaining two files for the Eiderhafen.
Eiderhafen.png

Without knowing the code, it appears simple to allow different levels of modular plans - not in the visual representation but in the logical.
The layout master plan contains several modules. A module contained in it may be a regular plan or another sub-master plan, containing again module plans.
Like this
Modular-layout-master.xml
Code: Select all
<modplan>
  <module filename="Modul-Sonneby.xml" x="0" y="0" id="Sonneby" title="Sonneby" cx="33" cy="8"/>
  <module filename="Set-Eiderhafen.xml" x="5" y="8" id="Eiderhafen-Set" title="Eiderhafen-Set" cx="11" cy="4"/>
</modplan>

and Set-Eiderhafen.xml containts again modules
Code: Select all
<modplan>
  <module filename="Modul-Eiderhafen.xml" x="1" y="0" id="Eiderhafen" title="Eiderhafen" cx="10" cy="3"/>
 <module filename="Modul-Eiderhafen-Ende.xml" x="7" y="0" id="Eiderhafen-Ende" title="Eiderhafen-Ende" cx="1" cy="1"/>
</modplan>

Then one could open either the master plan for the total overview (playing alone) or, using the tabview, single modules / sub arrangements.
Don't you think that would work?

Please give this thought a chance. In any case :rr_for_ever:

Best,
Jens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skippa

Re: [rejected] Display overview and different sets of module

Postby skippa » 23.10.2015, 13:03

Hi Rob,

still thinking in this. One question: are the module connections used for anything else than routing? Are they needed at all when using manually defined routes?

Best
Jens
skippa

Postby rjversluis » 23.10.2015, 13:19

Hi Jens,
skippa wrote:still thinking in this. One question: are the module connections used for anything else than routing? Are they needed at all when using manually defined routes?

no, they are not needed for manually defined routes.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby skippa » 23.10.2015, 13:39

Rob,

that helps because arranging the modules becomes more degrees of freedom then.

Thank you.

Jens
skippa

Return to Modular Layout Support