[Feature request- Solution] Modular layout Control views/locations Topic is solved

rvooyen

[Feature request- Solution] Modular layout Control views/locations

Post by rvooyen » 09.10.2018, 09:03

Hi,

We are using Rocrail for the M-Track modular layout club and really enjoy the ease of setting up any configuration of the modules.
Modular layouts tend to be long and narrow and can be viewed from either side.

We would like to place/have control stations with (eg a Rocview / Rocweb /Androc) client views at points on either side along the layout see the example below:
Control1-2.jpg
Control station CV and RvO01.

The issue is that the views are then upside-down for the control stations on one side of the layout and so difficult to use.

So the request is:

Is it now, or could it be made possible to have an upside-down (180deg) view of the SAME MODULES for modular layouts running on the same Rocrail so that each Rocview could use the one it needs.

So only one design would be made using the underlying modules and connections, but once made this could be viewed in the format as made, OR (if chosen) an upside-down (rotated 180deg) view, but with all the same connections.

This would be a fantastic feature if it could be made.

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rvooyen on 11.12.2018, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request] Modular layout Control views/locations

Post by rjversluis » 09.10.2018, 09:25

Hi Robert,

I like the idea, but I must investigate if it fits in the concept.
This is viewing only, so when, then a Rocview option Rotation="180".

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 10.10.2018, 10:41

Rob,

Just a thought:

If you have multiple layers and allow the same items to appear on different levels, then we can design as needed.

I believe at present even if you have multiple layers, Rocrail does not allow the same item to be used on different levels.
This has been asked by many so that there is "overlap" going from one level to another.

If each new level allows any item from another level to be (re)used then the user can meet this feature request and users will be able to move between layers using overlapping sections, allowing easy following of activities.

So in this case create two levels in the modular and make the design on the base level. This will need to be leading for ENWS connection for route generation.
The second level all is 180 rotated with no route generation.

Again - just a thought.

Robert

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 10.10.2018, 16:37

Robert,
I believe at present even if you have multiple layers, Rocrail does not allow the same item to be used on different levels.
This has been asked by many so that there is "overlap" going from one level to another.
this will not be come available. This would be the end of the analyser and Rocrail logic.
The rotation option would be OK.

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 11.10.2018, 17:05

Tried it manually. Just change orientation North to South and reconnect. Works great. But only one view at a time available for save/recall.

So all that is really needed is the need to be able to save (and recall) both views so that two views available at PC's.

Normal:
0deg_turned.jpg
Upside down (180deg) view:
180deg_turned.jpg
Both worked as expected.

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 13.10.2018, 08:50

Hi Robert,

until now I do not have a solution.

The only thing which does not need too much time to implement is to add a second alternative module arrangement file in the server.
This will instantiate two models in the server, and a connecting client can ask for the normal or alternative model view.
This solution would also be useable with Androc and Rocweb.

One file like this:

Code: Select all

<modplan title="Plan-F" locs="locos1.xml" routes="plan-f-routes.xml" occupation="occ.xml" initfield="false" savemodplan="true" savemodules="true" modroutes="true">
  <module id="m5" title="Lichtenberg" filename="mod6.xml" x="49" y="7" rotation="0" cx="16" cy="4" nr="6">
    <connection side="point-w" modid="m4" id="m5"/>
  </module>
</modplan>
and the alternative view like this:

Code: Select all

<modplan title="Plan-F" locs="locos1.xml" routes="plan-f-routes.xml" occupation="occ.xml" initfield="false" savemodplan="true" savemodules="true" modroutes="true">
  <module id="m5" title="Lichtenberg" filename="mod6.xml" x="49" y="7" rotation="180" cx="16" cy="4" nr="6">
    <connection side="point-w" modid="m4" id="m5"/>
  </module>
</modplan>

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 13.10.2018, 09:06

At second thought: This is also not a good solution...

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 14.10.2018, 11:15

Rob,

I have two pc's setup to test anything for a two-view option eg for either side of a long modular layout.

It is easy to make te designs for either view. The only thing necessary is to be able to store the two views and be able to call one or the other. One view is the main view design with all the orientation, connections and route genertion.
The other is the slave view with just the modules turned upside down and reconnected in mirror fashion.
This is very easy and can be done in a few minutes.

The only trouble now is that the master or slave immediately take on any change made (see the photo) to the plan because they are looking in real time at the same plan (xml).
Eitherside_ModularViews.jpg
So all that is necessary is two plans being able to be saved and called. Making the view connections etc can be left to the user and only one plan is the master for route generation.

Thanks,

Robert

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 14.10.2018, 11:28

Hi Robert,

with two model views you need two Rocrail servers.
I do not understand what you did.

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 14.10.2018, 11:52

I am showing that only one view is possible. As you say.
There can be only one master to the command station? Can two servers be active at same time?.

It would be enough if the slave/client could just call a single but different view from the master.
Everything else can be done by the user.

Robert

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 14.10.2018, 16:03

Hi Robert,
rvooyen wrote: There can be only one master to the command station? Can two servers be active at same time?.
it depends on the used system; With CAN or LocoNet it would be theoretically possible, but there can be only one master.
R2Rnet is also no solution for this.
rvooyen wrote: It would be enough if the slave/client could just call a single but different view from the master.
The server does do the rotation and module placing, and there is only one view available.
To move the rotation and placing to the Clients is only possible with a lot of work.

The best scenario I could think of is a default module arrangement file coming from server, and an optional one local.
But this still needs a move for Rotating from server to client... Because the client is responsible for the viewing part, it would be consequent to do so....
To provide multiple views from server is not the way to go.

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 14.10.2018, 16:43

Ok

When/if you have some sort of solution, I am ready to try/test it.

Robert

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 14.10.2018, 16:52

rvooyen wrote:When/if you have some sort of solution, I am ready to try/test it.
8)
This would a major change, and you are ready to test it? :D
If some more response would came on your request...

As I already wrote: If I move rotating to the clients, I have to do this for rocweb/androc/rocview/iroc/padroc... So this is not really an option. :cry:

LDG
Site Admin

Post by LDG » 14.10.2018, 20:21

Hi Rob and Robert,

I have an idea how this may be solved.
Hope to have a prototype ready on next user day in Speyer.

A few small changes in Rocview may be necessary. Final goal is to not need any changes.

Regards,
Lothar

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 15.10.2018, 09:49

Lothar,

If you have something I could try/test, let me know. I have an offline setup with laptops to run server and clients to test with and provide feedback.

Robert

Return to “Modular Layout Support”