multiple track panels, vs modular layout

Moderator: Moderators

multiple track panels, vs modular layout

Postby gyuri » 22.08.2011, 23:03

Hi guys,

I am building a medium size layout, and I would split my track plan in Rocrail in 2 (or in 3). On the main track plan/TAB I would have the layout itself, and on a second one I would have the fiddle yard.

I imagine, that this can be done by using 2 separate "track plans" in the same project/workspace. Unfortunatelly I don't find too info much about this technique, and I am not shore that it is the right one for the purpose.

The other one would be the modular layout construction, which seems quite well documented, but since my layout is composed only by 2 parts, I prefer to use the multiple track plan construction.

Problems I have encountered with the multiple track plans: the route analyser is not reporting any route which can be found between blocks from different track plans. This is normal, or this is a bug in Rocrail?

If I am defining manually the routes, I can run in half authomatic mode the locos from one track plan to other. Is there anyone who is using the multiple track plans, with more success?

I will need it finally, because I will display on 2 separate monitors my layout: one will be used for the main part, and the second one for the fiddle yard.

Thansk in advance for your input.

G.
(George)
gyuri

Postby Besra » 23.08.2011, 08:02

Hi George,

I imagine, that this can be done by using 2 separate "track plans" in the same project/workspace. Unfortunatelly I don't find too info much about this technique, and I am not shore that it is the right one for the purpose.

You can, indeed, use two (or more) different layers within the same track plan which should satisfy your needs in this case. Obviously you already managed to do this by adding a new track plan with a different layer.

Problems I have encountered with the multiple track plans: the route analyser is not reporting any route which can be found between blocks from different track plans. This is normal, or this is a bug in Rocrail?

You are right, routes between the layers are currently not analysed automatically. This is simply due to the fact this feature was not implemented so far ;) You have to enter these routes manually, that's true. Take the automatically generated routes as an example on how to create your own routes. Provided the routes were set up correctly and configured properly in the block properties there is absolutely no difference between routes on the same layer or between different layers regarding functionality.

You wrote:I will need it finally, because I will display on 2 separate monitors my layout: one will be used for the main part, and the second one for the fiddle yard.

You'll find a description how to to this here.

Best regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

Postby gyuri » 23.08.2011, 12:28

Hi Besra,

Thanks for the confirmation, and for the advices. I will edit the routes on the fiddle yard manually, since there are not many, and I will check the multiple GUI, as you recomennded.

The multiple track plan feature will be finalised in the near future?

thanks,
G.

Return to Modular Layout Support