ddx with 6604, what do I need to read and program CVs? (DCC)

Moderator: Moderators

ddx with 6604, what do I need to read and program CVs? (DCC)

Postby Mena » 23.04.2011, 22:31

Hi, I am quite new to digital railroading, I am using Rocrail (WinXp) with ddx (dcc) and a Märklin 6604 as a booster. I guess this is not enough for reading CVs, what do I need in order to be able to do so? Some other connection or hardware?
Thanks and regards
Mena

Postby RainerK » 24.04.2011, 08:45

Hi Mena,

my recommendation is the part of the schematic with this function like used in ORD-1.
You will see that here ORD-1 schematic between the R51 and DB9 J2 pin 9 with all the components around U4 and O13.

Another simplified circuit You will see here: http://vogt-it.com/OpenSource/DDL/index ... onnections
But without the opto isolation it is dangerous for the PC interface in case of circuit faults.

Please consider that all this circuits work only at native RS232 PC interfaces.
USBtoRS232 adapters normaly will not support this function.

Best Regards
RainerK
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby Mena » 24.04.2011, 09:51

Thanks a lot Rainerk, that doesn't look too difficult for me ;-) .

I have a doubt, I normally use a single output (I have a Trix Mobile Station) and I choose the "programming track" through manual switches, could I just take the output "1" from the 6604 (switch "B"?) and the "2" from the ack circuit and work normally?

Another idea I have is to opto-isolate the 6604 from the COM port, would it work to copy the top-left part of the circuit, including the O9 and O10 opto-isolators, and the U1A and U1B logical gates (and the related resistors and capacitor), and wire the "3" and "4" outputs of the logical gates to the 6604 instead of the "3" and "5" pins of the serial port? May this work?

Thanks again
Mena

Postby RainerK » 24.04.2011, 17:28

Hi Mena,

You should connect the output "O" (brown) from 6604 to GND at the normal track and GND of the resistor R51.
The output "B" (red) You connect over a manual switch like the relay contact 3, 4 + 5 to the other rails of the normal track and of the programming track.

For an opto isolation of 6604 input You can use the input circuit of ORD-1 in form of Your question,
but consider You need therefore a separate complete isolated 12V supply for the circuit between the optocouplers and 6604.

Best Regards
RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
RainerK

Postby Mena » 24.04.2011, 17:43

RainerK wrote:For an opto isolation of 6604 input You can use the input circuit of ORD-1 in form of Your question,
but consider You need therefore a separate complete isolated 12V supply for the circuit between the optocouplers and 6604.

Wouldn't this work at 5V? After all, my COM port is currently sending a 5V signal to the 6604, isn't it?
Mena

Postby RainerK » 24.04.2011, 21:13

Hi Mena,

only for the function of the circuit 5V should be enough.
But consider that the voltage at output of 4011 is lower then it's supply.
So is possible that it's NOT enough to drive the input of 6604.
You must test it.

Best Regards
RainerK

RainerK

Postby Mena » 25.04.2011, 19:03

RainerK wrote:Hi Mena,

You should connect the output "O" (brown) from 6604 to GND at the normal track and GND of the resistor R51.
The output "B" (red) You connect over a manual switch like the relay contact 3, 4 + 5 to the other rails of the normal track and of the programming track.

What I would like to have is just a two wire cable to the track, and be able to control the trains and program/read the CVs through this cable anywhere in the layout, with no programming track and no switch/relay, just like I have with my Mobile Station. Is that possible?

Thanks!
Mena

Postby RainerK » 26.04.2011, 06:29

Hi Mena,

reading CV is only possible with a resistor in one wire to the track.
The resistor is only usable in case of one loco (one decoder) on the track and not usable to drive the loco,
because the power loss for the loco motor is to high.
So is the reading CV only usable on programming track (PT)

The function "programming on main track" (POM) is defined without reading CV.
To use POM You must programming the loco address on the PT before
and then You can program the other CV's into the loco decoder with POM, but NOT it reading back.
If You want to check the CV's You must put the loco on the PT.

Regarding Your question You should connect the brown and red connectors direct to Your main track and forget reading CV from there.

Best Regards
RainerK

RainerK

Postby Mena » 26.04.2011, 07:02

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

I have a (maybe silly) question... after programming a locomotive on the programming track... do you have to push it "by hand" until it reaches a normal track and can run by its own?
Mena

Postby RainerK » 26.04.2011, 07:33

Hi Mena,

in case You push the loco from the programming track to the main track is absolute necessary,
that the power on BOTH tracks come from the same control unit or a synchronized booster.

If the two power signals are NOT synchronized, the loco generate a short circuit or in unfortunate cases the decoder will damaged.
To avoid those disasters with not synchronized power, You should switch off one of the both tracks for the moment,
at You push the loco over the isolation gap between the tracks.

Best Regards
RainerK

RainerK

Return to ddx