DDX with 6604 & ACK-Module...Softwaresettings?

Moderator: Moderators

DDX with 6604 & ACK-Module...Softwaresettings?

Postby hottex » 21.09.2011, 12:43

Hello folks,

I need a bit clarification over here, as the documentation on that topic seems missing.

My testing-setup is this:

http://wiki.rocrail.net/lib/exe/detail. ... rog-de.png

DDX works.

I managed to get DDX into "PT mode" by entering any valid(!) address in the S88-Tab, this is something that would be good to note in the wiki.
I had constant "not in PT mode"-Errors, when sending values before and to me it was not self-explanatory that I had to enter some valid address, even though I had no S88-module attached to get DDX to activate the PT feature.

Now I build the ACK-detector but I am not sure, what I have to enter to make that work. Every howto only talks about parallelports. The address of my serialport (0x3F8) or anything else? Only chain 1 to "1", rest to "0" I guess?

If everything is fine, I should get a CV back when I press get, I assume. Is that correct?

Can I do anything else with the ACK-detector in that setup above besides reading CVs?

Thanks for you help :)

Jonas
hottex

Postby RainerK » 22.09.2011, 06:12

Hi Jonas,

the PT button of programming dialog need a correct installed parallel interface,
since the relay to switch between main track and programming track in other hardware solutions (e.g. ORD-1) work with pin 14 from it.

If the parrallel port of the pc is not correct installed, You get a PT error.
For the port address You need to setup the parallel port, please look here:
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=ddx ... allel_port
The port address of serial interface here to use is really wrong.

For more information You should send the files rocrail.ini and the rocrail.xxx.trc from start phase (look at time stamp).
It's a good thing for a clear glance, You erase all trc-files before a new start.
So You have normally only one trc-file, if You stop rocrail short time after start.

If everything is fine, I should get a CV back when I press get, I assume. Is that correct?

Yes.

Can I do anything else with the ACK-detector in that setup above besides reading CVs?

No.

Please consider, that the 33Ω resistor need to briged or switched off for normal driving operation.

Best Regards
RainerK
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby hottex » 22.09.2011, 10:19

Hi Rainer,

I'm nowhere near my setup, so I'll test the rest and get the files tonight. I still have some new questions though:

If I set up S88 to my parallel port without anything attached...how does it know that it gets the CV read from my serial port? Or has the CV read actually nothing to do with S88 and I'm just confused by the (old) PT error?

At the moment I can send CVs to DCC decoders and they are accepted. However my Märklin decoder (611574, FX-Decoder, http://decoder.x-train.de/index.php?sei ... 611574.php) is ignorant to whatever I throw at him. Is this normal and ddx only writes DCC CVs or do I have do do anything differently for MM/FX decoders?

>Please consider, that the 33Ω resistor need to briged or switched off for normal driving operation.

No worries...I have a "real" programming track and I switch the cables when I try to access my normal track.
hottex

Postby RainerK » 22.09.2011, 11:06

Hi Jonas,
...Or has the CV read actually nothing to do with S88...

Yes.

S88 or better the parallel interface is in this case only for control the PT relay.
The ACK and CV read use the serial interface pin 9 (RI) and should be then OK,
if tabs "general" and "details" in DDX dialog are right configured.

Sorry, but AFAIK is programming in DDX only for DCC realized.

Best Regards
RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
RainerK

Postby hottex » 23.09.2011, 20:54

I don't mind not being able to program MM...I'm happy to know that it's not my fault ;)

I get a lot of these:
20110923.214058.043 g9999E main OMutex 0093 Error on mutex trywait. [16] [Device or resource busy]

trc is attached (and renamed as i was not allowed to upload trc-files.

Ignore the Plan-Errors...I dont have a plan for my 30 cm testing rail :)

There are a lot of ack-detected notes in there...however these even happen when I unplug the rail, so they seem to talk about something else than my missing acks...

I'm not even 100% sure if my testing-loco returns any CVs...I don't have any other method of testing than this selfbuilt thingy and rocrail...I am just expecting that it does because it's a newer DCC-Piko-Loco that reacts at least to programming the CV.

Makes looking for errors rather hard :/ Thanks again for your kind help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hottex

Postby RainerK » 26.09.2011, 08:52

Hi Jonas,
hottex wrote:...I get a lot of these:
20110923.214058.043 g9999E main OMutex 0093 Error on mutex trywait. [16] [Device or resource busy].

That line is not in the attached file because it's time stamp is later.

I found this line in the trc:
Code: Select all
20110923.213438.085 r9999c main     impl/ddx 0105 There is no port for s88 at 0x3BC.

It seems, that the S88-port is not available; may be a wrong port ?

There are a lot of ack-detected notes in there...however these even happen when I unplug the rail, so they seem to talk about something else than my missing acks...

So many ack messages are a strange behavior, so i will test it in my home system, before i can answer.
Please be patient few days.

Meantime other rocrailer's may answer, i hope.

Best Regards
RainerK

RainerK

Postby hottex » 26.09.2011, 13:12

RainerK wrote:
hottex wrote:...I get a lot of these:
20110923.214058.043 g9999E main OMutex 0093 Error on mutex trywait. [16] [Device or resource busy].

That line is not in the attached file because it's time stamp is later.

Indeed. I thought it would be in there as well (with an earlier timestamp). I'll try to make another Log, this time with this error (however I think, there were no more lines/notes/errors around it if I remember correctly)

I found this line in the trc:
Code: Select all
20110923.213438.085 r9999c main     impl/ddx 0105 There is no port for s88 at 0x3BC.

It seems, that the S88-port is not available; may be a wrong port ?

I'll doublecheck. I just entered the first Parport-address, but I have not actually checked the real adress in BIOS. I just assumed that it should be fine, as I did not get the PT-error I usually get, when this address is wrong.

Just to be double-sure I did not misunderstand you: I don't have to have anything attached to my parport, I only have to give him a valid address, correct?

So many ack messages are a strange behavior, so i will test it in my home system, before i can answer.

Are those messages in any relation to the ACK that I would like to receive? Because (as stated) they happen even when I have unplugged the rail and Port 7 & 9 on the Serial cable.

Please be patient few days.
Meantime other rocrailer's may answer, i hope.

No haste...I am glad you take the time to help me at all :)
I'll have my Rocrail registered as soon as I get my new TAN-List.
hottex

Postby hottex » 26.09.2011, 21:26

EDIT:
----
After reading the other thread about PT mode again (with my new knowledge), I think my issue is very closely related to that one. They sound very similar. However the person solves the issue by shorting P5, wich is something I cannot do...or can I? I dont have an ORD-1. How would I set PT on/off as said by rjversluis? The links to the wiki don't talk about doing that manually.
----

Some more Logs attached.

No-PT.txt:

This happens, when I set the S88 to the real address of the parport. Nothing attached to the parport. Serialport with attached ACK-Module.
I cannot read anything, as DDX does not enable PT-mode.

Wronglpt.txt:
Nothing attached to parport, wrong adress of parport (but at least a parport-address that may be correct with a different setup). Serialport with attached ACK-Module.
I only read Zeros and it contains the "Mutex trywait" Error.

--
If I try both settings but without the ACK Module, logs look identical. I get the NO PT-Error, when I choose the right ParPort and I get Mutex Trywait plus many ACKs when I choose the wrong address.

This looks so typical for a config-error...noone here any idea what I did wrong?

Any ideas how I could measure/test my ACK-module to make sure that I did no mistake here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hottex

Return to ddx