Control GCA145 via OneControl (Fiddleyard/Traverser)

RocNet(RaspberryPi), mergCBUS and LocoNet based hardware developed by Peter Giling. (GCA)
Documentation: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=english#hardware
Order information: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=gca:gca-index-en/

Control GCA145 via OneControl (Fiddleyard/Traverser)

Postby Klabauter » 23.09.2015, 20:51

Hi all,

I have installed by traverser now and can position the same manually via the GCA146 module - works fine. In order to realize RocRail autmatic mode later, I would like to control the GCA145 via the GPIO Ports of a BiDiB OneControl unit. I have put together in the attached picture how I understood that it might work and would like to ask you for your thoughts.

I have created a thead in the opendcc forum, too, see http://forum.opendcc.de/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2983

Thanks and best regards
Andi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Klabauter

Re: Control GCA145 via OneControl (Fiddleyard/Traverser)

Postby rjversluis » 24.09.2015, 10:44

Hi Andi,

are you sure that OneControl has 5V I/O?
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Klabauter » 24.09.2015, 19:50

Hi Rob,

yes, the GPIOs have 5V - but the discussion in the opendcc forum (link above) says, that GCA and OneControl 5V elec. circuits must not directly be connected to each other. They suggest a relais or transistor coupling in between, what seem to be attractive as it prevents that the systems blow each other up in case of mis-configuration...

Andi
Klabauter

Postby rjversluis » 24.09.2015, 19:56

The GCA145 already has Optocoupler.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Higgins » 24.09.2015, 23:11

Hi Rob,
rjversluis wrote:The GCA145 already has Optocoupler.

but not at the inputs where Andi wants to connect the OneControl to the GC145. However, as written at the OpenDCC forum I do not see an issue when connecting the modules.

Greetings
Volkmar
Higgins

Postby phg » 25.09.2015, 11:30

Hi Andi,

GCA145 has no isolated inputs for controlling.
As long as you use a separte power supply/transformer for GCA145, I see no problems to connect it with Bidib.
There is no 5V issue here, just ground is connected between GCA145 and Bidib.
On GCA145 J5 +5V is not connected at all.!
Best regards, herzliche Grüße, chaleureuses salutations, saludo cordial, migliori saluti, hjärtliga hälsningar, hartelijke groet,

Peter Giling (Rocrail - LNet(GCAxxx) - Fiddle Yard control GCA145 - CBUS (CAN-GCx)- RocNet (Raspberry Pi GCA-PIxx)
phg

Postby Klabauter » 25.09.2015, 16:58

Hi.

Thanks for the help. Maybe a stupid question, but can I test this stand- alone directly with a 5V supply by tipping e .g. pin2 and pin9 after each to drive to pos 1, or need they be triggered all together?

Cheers, Andi
Klabauter

Postby Higgins » 26.09.2015, 08:11

Hi,

J5(3) to J5(8) needs to have be set first, the giving an impulse to J5(9) and after this the pins J5(3) to J5(8) can be released.
Higgins

Postby Klabauter » 27.09.2015, 15:56

Hi.

I have tried to connect directly with USB and some Micro switches, but it does not move. In the docu i found J5 (7) and J5 (8) requires to be connected to GND if unused. How does it know whether those are used? From menu 0.1? I have configured 10 positions, could missing gnd on 7and8 be the reason that nothing happens?

thanks. Andi
Klabauter

Postby Higgins » 27.09.2015, 16:28

Hi Andi,

please show the macros you have created.

Volkmar
Higgins

Postby Klabauter » 28.09.2015, 11:44

Hi Volkmar,

I did not control it yet via OneControl Macros, but via direct 5V input (USB supply) with micro switches as illustrated below. First I press down MS1+MS2, then I tip MS3 and then I release MS1+MS2. I would have expected that the FY then drives to position 3.

Solution approaches I though about, but was not sure if this could destroy something:
  • attach J5(7) and (8) to GND
  • Attach J5(1) to 5V+

Thanks upfront for your oppinion, Andi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Klabauter

Postby Higgins » 28.09.2015, 22:22

Hi Andi,

in this case I would connect all the unused inputs (Pin5 to 8) to GND (But at least pin7 and 8). Also in case you want to try out different switch combinations, these inputs should get a GND level in case the switches are not active. Could be done by a resistor connected to GND.

/Volkmar
Higgins

Postby Klabauter » 18.10.2015, 16:07

Hi,

thanks for the hint and sorry for the late reply. I have adjusted my test setup now according to that information (see below). In this setup, all ports are connected to GND until one of the three micro switches is pressed. I tried now to command a position as mentioned in my prievious post (press MS1 and keep it pressed, trigger MS3, then release MS1). Again GCA does not do anything. Any suggestions how to verify what sill goes wrong?

Thanks! Andi
Klabauter

Postby phg » 18.10.2015, 18:47

Hi Andi,

It works like his:

Pin 1 to 6 (J5 !) are the postition inputs,
They will be handled binary so 000001 is position 1
000010 is position 2
000111 is position 7
010000 is position 16
etc.
Now, by making pin 7 shortly hight,and then low again, the desired postion will be taken over by the processor.
But that means that pin 1 to 6 should REMAIN AS THEY ARE!!!!!!, while activating pin 7.
With the way you do it, using pushbuttons or alike, it will not work.
Also, I do not know how Bidib is handling outputs.
Is an activated output high or low?
It could be necessary to invert all outputs in Rocrail, there is a tab for that.
You can easily measure that for yourself.
Best regards, herzliche Grüße, chaleureuses salutations, saludo cordial, migliori saluti, hjärtliga hälsningar, hartelijke groet,

Peter Giling (Rocrail - LNet(GCAxxx) - Fiddle Yard control GCA145 - CBUS (CAN-GCx)- RocNet (Raspberry Pi GCA-PIxx)
phg

Postby Klabauter » 18.10.2015, 20:20

Hi Peter.
Thanks for the fast reply. There are some things I would like to clarify in order to find my misunderanding:
  • What exactly does high and low mean here, is that the same like 5+ and GND?
  • You write that the positioning pins are J5 (1) to (6) but the online Doku says that it is J5 (3) to (8). I aassume the online docu is right.
  • what is digit 1 for the positioning, where does the digital number "start": is it J5 (3) or (8)?

I did not understand why it can not be activated via micro switches: I press the positioning switches and hold them down, then I tip the command pin and AFTER that I release the positioning pins. Isn't that what Onecontrol would be supposed to do, too?

Thanks, Andi
Klabauter

Next

Return to GCA (Hardware by Peter Giling)