More Addressing Problems

RocNet(RaspberryPi), mergCBUS and LocoNet based hardware developed by Peter Giling. (GCA)
Documentation: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=english#hardware
Order information: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=gca:gca-index-en/

More Addressing Problems

Postby mcnaugg » 24.01.2015, 15:51

I am still having problems with GCA module addressing although my earlier post regarding Multiple GCA50s was solved very quickly.
I am going very slowly with additional modules at the moment to minimise the no of faults that I am making. I have a Digitrax DS100, PR3 connected with a GCA50 and a GCA77 current detector and apart from some earlier track problems these are working fine and I have a small layout working in auto mode. I also have a DS52 controlling two points correctly.
I now want to expand the layout by adding another GCA50 ( I know I am only using half of the first GCA50 but I want to get used to adding more modules before increasing the size of my layout), and another GCA77. I have addressed the two GCA50s as 81/1 & 82/1. If I go to Rocrail/ Programming/GCA50/address/Query both GCA50s are shown.
If I highlight the new GCA50 (82/1), then select EasySetup/Get all, the current (Default?) addresses are shown. Ports 1 to 8 are in pairs 351+351, 352 + 352 etc up to 354+354. However Ports 9-16 are individual addresses (701 to 708). All ports are set as a Pulse and the alternate test boxes are ticked. I have two LEDs connected to port 9 on the GCA77 and if I now click on the test box for port 9&10 the relevant LEDs come on for a short period and then go which is what I would expect.
I have put on the screen 4 points/switches and given them addresses as shown in Ports 9 to 16. (701 to 708. If I click on the screen points although they change on the screen the Leds are not illuminated which indicates to me that I have a problem with addresses.

What am I doing wrong?

Gareth
mcnaugg

Re: More Addressing Problems

Postby mcnaugg » 24.01.2015, 17:40

Sorry should have uploaded the ini, trc files etc

Gareth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcnaugg

Postby phg » 24.01.2015, 18:55

Hello Gareth,

What you did wrong is your addressing in the turnout Interface.
First of all, the adrressing 82.1 and 82.2 as you mentioned is only needed if you want to change something in the settting of the GCA50.
Is is the module address.
In a LocoNet netwerk, if all GCA50 would have the same address, how would you be able to change anything in the settings of a specific one?
The turnout interface settings have nothing to do with that.
The Port # setting in the turnout interface is the number that is called when turnout has to be activated
In the turnout interface, leave Bus and Address and Parameter all 0.
The only thing you will set there is PORT, and as I see in the INDEX of turnouts, for example Turnout 702 (this is just a ID-NAME and has nothing to do with anything else like addressing).
In your example turnout 702 , PORT should probably be set to 702. actually just as you initialized the first two turnouts.
But also there the ID's should not be 01, 02 but for example t345, t816, something like that.

I advice you to name turnouts (as anything else) with NAMES in ID, i.e. t1.. T947 for turnouts etc.
Do not use the adress as programmed in GCA50 and corresponding in PORT of turnout Interface, that could be very disturbing later on.

For short: Turnout Interface PORT should have the same number as programmed in the Port of GCA50 that controls it.
Best regards, herzliche Grüße, chaleureuses salutations, saludo cordial, migliori saluti, hjärtliga hälsningar, hartelijke groet,

Peter Giling (Rocrail - LNet(GCAxxx) - Fiddle Yard control GCA145 - CBUS (CAN-GCx)- RocNet (Raspberry Pi GCA-PIxx)
phg

Postby mcnaugg » 25.01.2015, 14:34

I have followed your feedback and the points are now working. Initially they didn't work but after reading the Wiki help file I realised that with points/switches two consecutive ports had to given the same numbers to enable both coils to be operated. Once I had that done things fell into place.

Only the Current Detectors on 81/1 are in use at the moment as I am still getting used to Rocrails capabilities at the moment.

Thanks for the help. Now onto the next stage.

Regards

Gareth
mcnaugg

Postby phg » 25.01.2015, 14:43

Hi Gareth,

Please forget to use address 81 !!!!!!
That address is reserved for initialisation the first node.
That address should NOT be used in the running LecoNet network. !!!!!

And @ everyone.......

ALWAY!S read wiki first before you ask questions.
I realise it is a lot of work to do that, but please also think of all the work that has been put into it!
Best regards, herzliche Grüße, chaleureuses salutations, saludo cordial, migliori saluti, hjärtliga hälsningar, hartelijke groet,

Peter Giling (Rocrail - LNet(GCAxxx) - Fiddle Yard control GCA145 - CBUS (CAN-GCx)- RocNet (Raspberry Pi GCA-PIxx)
phg

Postby mcnaugg » 25.01.2015, 14:56

Not using 81 makes sense now that I have been down that path.

The comment re reading the wiki first is also correct but to a very new beginner like myself its not always easy to know what to search for in the Documentation that's why we rely on good people like your self. For every successful problem solved either via the wiki or by the forum it means we don't have to visit that subject again.

Regards

Gareth
mcnaugg

Return to GCA (Hardware by Peter Giling)