Recommendation for Linux system

Recommendation for Linux system

Postby ThomasM » 03.08.2017, 22:30

Hi guys,
due to very good experience concerning performance and stability running Rocrail on Debian 8 in a VM on a Windows 10 host, I'm now thinking about setting up a "real" Linux platform.
Unfortunately my central unit doesn't yet support a network interface, but needs USB coomunication to the rocrail server, otherwise I would simply have used a VM on my home server.

However as such LINUX systems are not very expensive any more, I'd like to benefit from your experience.

I've already tried out a Raspi 3B, running the rocrail server and rocrail on this device did work, but the reactions were sometimes really slow in comparison to the VM-based installation (driven by an older dual core I-5 ).
I wonder, if an Intel NUC ( core i-3 ) or similiar could be the solution serving as the main system, supported by one additional Raspi attached to a second screen.

I'm not going to use "refurbished" HW, amongst other issues I've made a lot of bad experience with outdated drivers, not supported components etc. the trouble is not worth the savings.

Awaiting your replies and hopefully a lively discussion,
regards
Thomas
ThomasM

Re: Recommendation for Linux system

Postby rjversluis » 05.08.2017, 13:58

Hi Thomas,

The Raspi3 (with Raspbian) is very popular, but the most users are using it for the Rocrail Server only together with other client computers and handhelds.
For Linux you can use any regular computer.
Best Regards, Rob.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby ThomasM » 05.08.2017, 17:50

Hi Rob,
thanks for your advice, my hope was getting some experience of other users, the lack of replies seems to indicate, that a "pure" Linux system is not such popular,
Regards
Thomas
ThomasM

Postby Schorse » 05.08.2017, 18:02

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately my central unit doesn't yet support a network interface, but needs USB coomunication to the rocrail server,

Which is your control station? Which kind of usb communicaton does it need? A special driver like in Win OS?
Viele Grüße Gerd
Schorse

Postby agre30 » 05.08.2017, 20:59

Hi Thomas,
I have a HTPC with Lubuntu 16.04 on it. I run Rocrail server on this HTPC.
I use a Dell laptop, also with Lubuntu 16.04 as a Rocview client and also 2 Android tablets.
Works great.

Albert.
Albert,
Märklin 3-rail
Lubuntu 16.04 (server and client) / TamsMC - Booster B-2 / HSI88 / S88N
Stoom / steam / dampf / diesel / E-loc
agre30

Postby ThomasM » 05.08.2017, 22:51

I use Bidib as command control and I would have to bridge a gap of 20m from the Linux VM to the command control. Seriously, I have thought about a USB connection via Ethernet, but
at the end a dedicated Linux PC is easier to handle and much cheaper. In my opinion a device like a Intel NUC or a similar barebone PC should be sufficient.
For example m y current windows setup supports three monitors, which are easy to handle with a dedicated graphics adapter and a single operating system.
To replace this with Linux I could simply add a Raspi to each monitor via HDMI, but: to fire up and to administer such an multi-device architecture is more complicated as a single computer.
Nevertheless I'm gathering experience and will share this of course,
Regards
Thomas
ThomasM

Return to Wiki