Signal icon disappears when signal has more than 4 aspects

Signal icon disappears when signal has more than 4 aspects

Postby Suzie » 16.03.2013, 23:56

I hope this is in the correct place, but I have a problem. When I set Aspects in the details tab to a value greater than 4 the icon disappears from the plan. Clicking where the icon was displays the aspects sequentially but you have to know where to click. Setting aspects back to 4 returns the icon, but only four aspects can be selected in the list to represent red, yellow, green and white.

The icon shows the red, green and yellow OK, but white shows as yellow and green.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzie

Postby rjversluis » 17.03.2013, 07:03

Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Suzie » 17.03.2013, 09:28

I have read that, re-read it and gone back to read again but the only thing I can see about icons is that the 'significations' should make a difference to how the signal is displayed but changing it makes no difference.

Suzie x
Suzie

Postby rjversluis » 17.03.2013, 12:22

Hi Suzie,

for signals with more then 4 aspects there are no default symbols:
Multi aspect signal SVG symbols are not part of the Rocrail setup.

Just take your time to read the story of Italian 15 aspect signal system:
http://forum.rocrail.net/viewtopic.php? ... lti+aspect
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Suzie » 17.03.2013, 13:42

Ah. I did not realise I wanted SVG symbols, SVG is not a term I am familiar with.

In that case is there some documentation that explains how to create the SVG symbols? And how to reference them once they are created? I did not see anything in that thread.

Suzie x
Suzie

Postby rjversluis » 17.03.2013, 16:25

Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Suzie » 18.03.2013, 09:44

Excellent, Thank you for that. The only question I have now is how to display flashing aspects. Can I make them flash with animated SVG or do I need some other way to indicate a flashing aspect?

I have tried the attached but it does not look right in RocView.

SVG file does not appear to have attached, I will try .ZIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzie

Postby rjversluis » 18.03.2013, 10:15

Flashing is not supported.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Suzie » 18.03.2013, 10:18

Thank you.
Suzie

Postby RainerK » 18.03.2013, 10:35

Hi Suzie,

additional You have to note here in the wiki: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=symbols-en#inkscape
that SVG-files created with inkscape, are need editing like this remark, specially third line:
At the moment the only thing evaluated in Rocrail are <path../>.
With Shift+F6 you can start this sequence; try to generate Lines only, no Curves.
As soon as you're done with the graphics save the file in Inkscape and open it with a text editor to copy the path information into another new file.

Otherwise rocrail can't use those files.

Best Regards
RainerK
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby Suzie » 18.03.2013, 11:59

I am just trying to get round what will display where. I can get red lines to display in Inkscape that will not display in Rocview, and I can get Black lines that display in Rocview that don't display in Inkscape, but I cannot get red lines to display in Rocview! I.E and Windows Explorer also have alternative ways of displaying the same SVG file.

Standards are so good you can't have too many of them!

Any quick tips or examples of how to make a coloured 1-pixel wide line four pixels long at 45 degrees that will display universally in an SVG file? I can use a 'Star' filter effect to indicate a flashing aspect with four of those.
Suzie

Postby RainerK » 18.03.2013, 12:25

Hi Suzie,

IMHO the best solution to create an SVG-file is modifying an existing SVG-file, which accepted from rocrail.
You may try it with the first code squence in the wiki: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=sym ... ext_editor

Copy and add the line
Code: Select all
<path stroke=.....
multiple into.
Then modify the parameters in several lines and experiments.

Meaning of parameters:
Code: Select all
d="M 0,16 L 2,13 z "
set the cursor to point 0,16 and then draw a line to point 2,13. The z flag ends the command.

The stroke parameter is the pencil color.
The fill parameter is the fill color, if You draw a closed figure,
where the last L coordinates are the same like the beginning M parameter.

Best regards
RainerK
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby Suzie » 18.03.2013, 13:38

I think I have cracked, punctuation can get corrupted during cut and paste, and all viewers react differently to wrong SVG punctuation!

I now have a representation of flashing without doing any flashing. In the attached file is aspect 0 which is steady state and aspect 4 indicating flashing without flashing.

Thank you all for your help

Suzie x
Suzie

Postby Suzie » 18.03.2013, 14:47

Another question, I understand that there is currently only support for up to 16 aspects. Is there any possibility of an extension of this to 32 aspects so that North American speed signalling can be accommodated? Canada's CROR in particular and some USA railroads have more than 16 aspects displayable on a single mast.

It would be handy to know because I can get on and create the symbols if it can be supported, but not much point otherwise. Link to a useful site showing the different signalling systems in North America:-

http://www.railroadsignals.us/

Suzie x
Suzie

Postby rjversluis » 18.03.2013, 18:12

Hi Suzie,

in the Wiki you can read: Max. 16 aspects.
I have no problem to increase it to 256 aspects, but I'm not convinced if it makes sense to show 32 aspects on a scaled signal.

Since Rocrail supports the 16 aspect Italian system no one will travel in Italy by train anymore because they are afraid the engineer could easily oversee one of the 16 aspects... ;-)

Why not reducing the aspects; Most spectators don't notice 32 aspects anyhow without a magnifier and a guid what those aspects mean.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Next

Return to Icons