MERG Block Detector, DTC-8

http://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/cbus.php

Postby Chris benadie » 17.10.2012, 06:23

Hi
I am about to purchase a MERG product :

8ch DCC only Current Transformer Block Detector, DTC-8 will Rocrail detect it ?.

Thanks
Regards Chris
Chris benadie

Postby rjversluis » 17.10.2012, 06:39

Hi Chris,

you must provide more information:

- is it CBus?
- if not; how does it interface with the computer?
- link to manual?
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby rjversluis » 17.10.2012, 06:52

http://nigelcliffe.blogspot.de/2010/11/ ... tself.html
The train detection is through MERG DTC-8 detectors which register current in a track section. Those feed their output to a LocoIO board, which places the information on a LocoNet network.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Chris benadie » 17.10.2012, 07:14

Hi Rob
I have attached a schematic, of DETECTOR.
My command station is a NCE POWER CAB with new SMART BOOSTER 5 AMP OUTPUT

Regards
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Chris
Chris benadie

Postby Chris benadie » 17.10.2012, 07:30

Hi Rob
Managed to find more info attached PDF doc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Chris
Chris benadie

Postby rjversluis » 17.10.2012, 07:31

Hi Chris,

as I quoted: You need some kind of I/O decoder in your NEC setup to connect the DTC-8.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby kbriffa » 19.10.2012, 06:02

Hi. I have dtc8 on my layout. Alone they do not give a feedback output recognizable by dcc command stations. I use mine to light up a mimic panel. get the equivalent from merg that uses the can bus.

Kenneth
kbriffa

DTC-8 and MERG CBUS

Postby Olddog » 02.03.2013, 09:11

To get a DTC-8 communicating with CBUS you need a CAN-ACE8c module which is a Producer module and puts the signal onto the CBUS when the state of any DTC-8 channel changes.
The DTC-8 was designed for a RPC connection network but it has a handy 10 pin connection in the RPC area of the PCB which matches perfectly with the 10 pin input connection on the ACE8c. :)
The ACE8c requires a regulated +5vDC power supply and the outer connections on both modules are the 0v and +5v supply which is perfect so the power supply to the ACE8c can also supply the DTC-8. If you choose your connector type on each module to match you can actually piggy-back the ACE8c onto the DTC-8 with no wiring required, just be careful to get them the correct way round. :wink:
Good luck.
Olddog

Postby BrianW » 02.03.2013, 19:09

Hi Chris,

I use MERG DTC8s connected to MERG CANACE8Cs which transmit CBUS data on my Rocrail controlled layout, however I use all MERG modules, including a CANCMD control station and CANUSB which transmits CBUS information to PC/Rocrail.

As indicated by Olddog, MERG modules communicate over CBUS, I doubt whether NCE POWERCAB is directly compatible with CBUS, it might be worth checking this out before purchasing MERG modules. You may be able to get more information on compatibilty from the MERG forum.

Good luck

BrianW
BrianW

Postby Olddog » 03.03.2013, 20:57

Hi Brian,
You and I are on similar control schemes but I'm still at the building stage.
I am just finishing the bus wiring for the DTC-8 control blocks in the support structure before I finally install the boards and can't get access anymore.
Will you be at Ally-Pally at the end of the month by any chance?
I will be part time on the MERG stand and would love to have a chat if we could link up.
Best Regards
Jim
Olddog

Postby BrianW » 05.03.2013, 19:06

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I will not be going to Alexandra Palace, however would like to keep in touch, as you say we appear to be on very similar projects, and I am also a retired mechanical design engineer.
Suspect we should not hijack Chris's thread for our future communications, the 'pm' button at the foot of the page may be worth a try (don't know whether this works via the forum or direct email, either is OK by me).

Regards

Brian
BrianW

Return to mergCBUS