[Solved] MERG CANACE8C to Rocrail problems –further help rqd

http://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/cbus.php

[Solved] MERG CANACE8C to Rocrail problems –further help rqd

Postby BrianW » 14.12.2012, 21:48

Hi Rocrailers,

Sorry to report I'm in trouble again!

My layout uses MERG CAN... modules:
...USB (interface), ...CMD (command), ...ACE3 (control panel reader), ...ACE8 (points control), ...ACE8C (occupation sensor interfaces).

I have set the 'producer' module node numbers with the onboard switches or links, and nearly everything works with Rocrail (I can control the locos and points manually from the screen or automatically within certain limits), everything works except the ACE8C modules!
One ACE8C is set to node 5, the other node 6.

When set up in the Rocrail sensor table as Bus 5 address 1-8 and Bus 6 address 1-8, the server screen below the trackplan shows the correct ON and OFF events as locos pass through the occupation sensor sections, for example Short event 5:2 ON Short event 5:2 OFF, however the traceline in the server window (black background) follows these events with “unregistered event 0:2:0”. The green sensor buttons on the screen do not change colour, and automatic sensing is not achieved.

Ron and Bram resolved my initial query on this subject (when I was only using one ACE8C) and suggested setting the Sensors in the table to Bus 0 (even though they were set to node 5 by the switches). The sensors still showed “Short event 5:2 ON” in the server screen below the trackplan, but functioned correctly and I had full automatic operation. Having now added more sensors and a second ACE8C, both ACE8Cs want to operate as Bus 0, (regardless of what I set the second one to in the table) even though they both display correct event information on the server screen below the trackplan. The layout is now confused (just like me) as the second ACE8C operates the trackplan sensor buttons allocated to the first ACE8C, and the layout doesn't work properly.

I've read Rocrail and MERG online documentation on long and short addresses, SLiM and FLiM programming etc (I believe I've done the programming in SLiM), and suspect my problem is something to do with these topics, but I don't really understand what I've been reading.

Any advice and clarification would be much appreciated.

Brian
Last edited by BrianW on 20.12.2012, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
BrianW

Postby BrianW » 15.12.2012, 17:20

Hi Rocrailers,

Further to my ramblings in the previous post, I believe I may have narrowed down the problem.

By sending all server traces to Rocview, and observing the output, I now believe the problem is something to do with addressing.

My two CANACE8C occupation sensor interface modules are set up with their on board switches as Node 5 and Node 6. Each has 8 outputs (addresses).

When a loco moves into node 5 address 1 zone, the following trace is displayed:
r9999I cbreader OCBUS 0195 [005] evaluate OPC=0x90 data 00050001000000
r9999c cbreader OCBUS 0711 short event 5:1 ON

When a loco moves into node 6 address 1 zone, the following trace is displayed:
r9999I cbreader OCBUS 0195 [006] evaluate OPC=0x90 data 00060001000000
r9999c cbreader OCBUS 0711 short event 6:1 ON

With Rocrail sensor properties set to Bus 5 address 1, and Bus 6 address 1 respectively, none of this data causes the track display sensors to operate.

By setting the Rocrail Bus number for my Node 5 module to 0, the track plan sensors work correctly for the Node 5 module, however a loco moving into node 6 address 1 zone switches the track display sensor for node 5 address 1 to red, even though the Node 6 module is set to Bus 6.

I therefore suspect that Rocrail is receiving appropriate information from the different sensor Nodes/Buses, as the 4th digit from the left is the node number, but somehow Rocrail seems to be ignoring this, substituting a zero, and only using the rightmost 7 or 8 digits in processing the sensor information. I don’t know how I can get it to use the full data and correctly identify the nodes?

If this additional information is able to help anyone point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Meanwhile I will keep digging.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by BrianW on 15.12.2012, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
BrianW

MERG CANACE8C

Postby Beep » 15.12.2012, 18:48

Brian

I use the MERG "FLIM" utility to teach my 8C's the events they should respond to. I am using FLIM not SLIM.

Briefly I "learn" the software node the event, so for 2 8C's I would have 16 events numbered 1 to 16.

I then transfer the event to the the relevant 8C. The first 8 to the first 8C and the next 8 to the second 8C and so on.

In Rocrail I use the event number I created in FLIM so sensor 1 has event 1, sensor 2 has event 2 and so on. Event 9 which is obviously on the second 8C.

Not sure if this helps you or not...

Bill P
Beep

Postby BrianW » 15.12.2012, 19:46

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with using the MERG FLiM utility, however I will have a look at the MERG info on this and give it a go. I will need to learn to use it sooner or later, so now is as good a time as any.

Many thanks, will report how I get on, but it may take quite a few days.

Regards

Brian
BrianW

CANACE8C update

Postby BrianW » 19.12.2012, 17:20

Hi Bill,

I set up the CANACE8C using the FLiM utility and thought I had it cracked, but unfortunately it still doesn’t work.

I left my 1st 8C in SLiM mode, node 5 as this worked OK

Set my 2nd 8C to FLiM, set it to the default node 256

“Learned” the 8 events to the Software node (I used events 11-18 )

Transferred (drag and drop) these to 8C

Software Node events table and 8C events table now show same 8 events (Nos 11-18 )

If I right click any of the 8C events and select ‘Short on’, sent message panel reads SBFAON980000000B, received message panel reads SBOCON9101000001 to SBOCON9101000008 (I don’t know whether last digit is event number – see next sections)

In Rocrail I assigned bus 0 event 11 to sensor 11 . . . bus 0 event 18 to sensor 18

When a loco runs through sensor sections 11 – 18, the control panel now reads Short event 256:1 to 256:8 on, and the sensors on the track diagram still operate sensors 1-8, not 11-18 !

Don’t know whether I have missed something.

After ‘learning’ the events to the software node, should I be teaching them anything?

When transferring events from the Software node to the 8C, I accepted the default of Consumed Events = start of day, Produced events = nothing selected.

I seem to be very close to getting it working, but not quite. If you could point out what is probably an obvious mistake, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Brian
BrianW

CANACE8C problem identified

Postby BrianW » 20.12.2012, 13:32

Hi Bill,

Pleased to report I have found my error and sorted it. :D

When transferring events from software node to CANACE8C node, I needed to select 'Consumed events' = Route, and 'Produced events' to event 1 for first input which is event 11, input 2 for event 12 etc.

Everything now works perfectly, so I can now get on with fine tuning stopping points etc.

Once again many thanks for your advice.

Regards

Brian
BrianW

CANACE8C problem identified

Postby Beep » 20.12.2012, 22:19

Hi Brian

Sorry I didn't get back to you but glad you have solved your problem.

Bill P
Beep

Return to mergCBUS