Hi From Virginia, USA

New users can introduce themself here

Hi From Virginia, USA

Postby KE4NYV » 20.05.2018, 09:22

I'm new to RocRail. I have been using JMRI for several years and while it works, I am constantly frustrated with how archaic it can be for certain functions. I have it running under Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 3. What I would like to do is replace it with RocRail. I installed RocRail on a Pi 3, but I couldn't seem to get anything working. Most menus would not open any dialog boxes and it seemed to hang, but was hard to tell if it was or not. I have also installed it on a Windows 7 laptop and that seems to be more responsive. I have to admit that I have not gone as far as to connect my NCE PowerPro station to it yet, so that could be why I'm not seeing much happen. I was just trying to get a feel for the software and the layout before going any further.

I do have a project that I want to start on. I have designed a direct plug in servo control board that is sized for the Raspberry Pi Zero (W). This board plugs right onto the Pi Zero and doesn't require any external connections, other than 5VDC for the servo power. My goal is to connect up to 16 servos to this and maybe more of them on separate Pi Zeros to create TCP/IP connected servo controllers around my layout. One thing I can't confirm about RocRail is if it has any kind of method to control something like this over the network. Basically I want to replace any kind of cab/control bus with WIFI through these modules based on the Pi Zero and my servo control board.

I look forward to learning more as I read through the forum.

Thanks!
Jason
KE4NYV

Re: Hi From Virginia, USA

Postby rjversluis » 20.05.2018, 09:41

Hi Jason,

if you are new to Rocrail, please start here:
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=stepbystep-en
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby KE4NYV » 20.05.2018, 09:59

rjversluis wrote:Hi Jason,

if you are new to Rocrail, please start here:
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=stepbystep-en

Vielen dank! Ich werde diese erste lesen.

Jason.
KE4NYV

Postby smitt48 » 20.05.2018, 10:36

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Rocrail!
Always nice to get some more US users, I was formerly from Illinois!

Tom
Kind regards,
Tom Smit
Kralendijk, Bonaire - Dutch Caribbean

Märklin M & K-rails with ECoS2 (4.2.3) - Win10
RoSoft: S88n & WDD switch & SDD signal decoders
Display: Tri-ang from 1950's, Märklin from early 1960's
In build phase
smitt48

Postby RedTrain » 20.05.2018, 19:16

Hello Jason

Welcome to the Rocrail community!
Warning: Rocrail is a lot of fun an can be addictive :wink: - but only if you work through the step-by-step stuff first :D
Beste Grüsse / kind regards - Carlo

[H0m 2L DCC] Layout "Rhaetian Flyer" Swiss Proto-Freelance RhB+FO+zB; 6% completed, partly operational
W10, Ubuntu 16.04, Rocweb, andRoc; CANbus GC1e, GC3-ORD3, GC2, GC6; Bemo, Peco, handlaid;
RedTrain

Return to Introduction