I only recently discovered there was a forum attached to the rocrail.net website. And the first thing on the forum was this subject group. As it invites members to give some information about their setup, so here it is.
After searching the web for different ways to control a layout, the network system that appealed the most was the CAN Bus. The hardware working with CAN that appealed most was by GCA, which is based on MERG-CBUS. Once committed to that, the only choice for control software is Rocrail. Fortunately this is an Open Source system which can run on many different platforms, which is a Good Thing (tm).
The hardware now consists of:
- can-gc3 - A DCC central station controlled through CBUS.
- can-gc1e - A computer interface for the CBUS, with an Ethernet connection. This is plugged into my home network.
- Rocrail - This server is running on a Mac OS Mac Mini which is always on (this machine also works as a file server, printer server, etc).
- Rocview - The client with the human interface, running on various Mac OS machines, allowing control from each of these machines. Also iRoc on an iPod Touch.
- A Lenz system, consisting of an LZ100 central station, an LV100 booster and an LH100 handset. Bought to have a factory-built DCC system which is guaranteed to work, to give experience with DCC and have a fallback, before starting on the electronic construction sets of GCA.
- Peco H0 rails and turnouts (electrofrog).
- Servos to drive the turnouts.
- can-gc6 interface to control the servos, with gca137 to switch power on the frogs.
- Feedback based on Hall-effect sensors using the gca173 interface.
Born early 1960s in the Netherlands.
Languages: Native Dutch, native level English, good German and French.
Education: Applied Physics at University of Technology (not finished. Thermodynamics is hard ).
Other things learned there: electronics, signal theory, programming.
Work experience: Programming, mostly in C on various Unix systems.
Brush up English Rocrail wiki pages.
Add to and make up-to-date Dutch wiki pages.
Expand on GCA wiki pages.
Hope to learn more PIC programming.
Might contribute to Rocrail/Rocview software itself.