Introduction

New users can introduce themself here
oettli

Introduction

Post by oettli » 04.05.2019, 09:28

Hello from the Antipodes,

Hello to all, or as our Maori people say, Kia ora tatou!

My name is Peter, I have been retired for 15 years (in other words, I am old) but am building an n gauge layout on a piece of 18mm plywood, 2.7x1.2m with a Swss alps theme. It is my second layout, the first one was HO with a similar theme, but I wanted to get more rails. I am using the Uhlenbrock Inellibox 2 and have just downloaded Rocrail onto my obsolete (2008!) MacPro. I have not connected the computer to the control station yet but wanted to draw the trackplan and have a bit of a play first. The problem is that when I start Rocview, the screen I get is the loco screen with function keys, throttle, speedo and clock, with the tabs "Locomotives", "Notes", and "Programming". Nothing I do will get me a workspace to draw a trackplan. I'm afraid I don't know where in the forum to ask what is clearly a basic question - is there a section for stupid beginners? It looks as if I will need a lot of help but my start has not been particularly auspicious as I don't seem to be able to even get to the opening screen shown in the 'First Steps' instructions. Perhaps someone can either help or at least point me to where I can get help.

Many thanks,

Peter

GuenTTer

Re: Introduction

Post by GuenTTer » 04.05.2019, 09:50

Hi Peter,
welcome to the Rocrail-Forum.
When you want to start building a plan in Rocrail, you first have to switch to the "Edit panel". Than a small window will open and you can start to draw your layout-plan.
Good luck !

regards
Guenter

P.S. I visited your beautyful NZ in 1986 and also travelled with the "silver fern".
Unfourtunally, NZ is so far away from where I live.
Attachments
screenshot.png

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 04.05.2019, 12:25

Hi Peter,

Wecome to Rocrail!
If you haven't found it yet, here are the first steps.
https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=st ... &s[]=steps

Tom

oettli

Post by oettli » 05.05.2019, 09:03

Many thanks for the responses, Guenter and Tom. My problem is that I can't even get to first steps. When I download the program and then open it, it goes straight to the loco page. I have a hard copy of 'First Steps' but the loco page does not allow me to take the first steps. I checked the edit tab Guenter, and the only options I get are 'Find and Replace/Start Dictation/Emoji and Symbols'. When I try 'Open Workspace' a number of files appear but they are all greyed out, so can't be accessed.

Übrigens, Guenter, ich kann auch Deutsch, wenn das leichter ist. Ich habe nur auf Englisch geschrieben, weil mir die Fachausdrücke auf Deutsch nicht so geläufig sind. Aber als emeritierter Germanist ist mein Deutsch zwar ein wenig rostig, aber hoffentlich noch immer akzepabel. Leider kann ich hier in Neuseeland wohl Schweizer, aber keine Nürnberger Bratwürste kriegen.

Kind regards to both of you,

Peter

GuenTTer

Post by GuenTTer » 05.05.2019, 10:15

Hallo Peter,
wunderbar, dann kann ich in Deutsch schreiben und du kanst auf Englisch antworten. Tom spricht übrigens auch beides und Niederländisch noch dazu.

Könntest du mal einen Screenshot machen und hier einstellen. Wenn du Windows als Betriebssystem hast, dann geht das mit <Ctrl> und <Print>.

mfG
Guenter

P.S. hast du zufällig in Wuerzburg studiert ?

cds

Post by cds » 05.05.2019, 11:15

Hello,

may I kindly ask you to write English in the English forum?
Otherwise please change to the German forum.

Thank you!

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 05.05.2019, 12:49

Hi Peter,

Rocrail is written in English, so it is often easier to ask questions in English. There are plenty of forum helpers that can read and write English.

My guess is that you probably have started Rocrail instead of Rocview. After starting Rocview the server (Rocrail) is started automatically. Now select a workspace (Rocrail speak for folder) and this will load a plan. Start with the wiki demo plan (one of the demo plans is automatically loaded) this is an item under file-> demo workspace.

https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=quickstart-en
https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=workspaces-en

Tom

oettli

Post by oettli » 06.05.2019, 10:16

Cracked it! After your helpful replies, I went back to basics and under the tab 'View' I managed to load the demo plan. And now I am as happy as a sandboy playing with the various symbols and transferring my layout into the rocrail schematic. So many thanks both for the friendly welcome and for the helpful suggestions.
You will have seen that I have been reprimanded for using German Guenter, so I'll stick to English in this section of the forum and refer to the German one if you prefer to write in German. I'm afraid I did not study in Würzburg but did once give a paper (on late Medieval German epics) at a conference on the Marienfeste there and became friends with Horst Brunner, the Professor for Ältere Germanistik there. (But this belongs again to another section of the forum!!)
So many thanks for your help and best wishes from the auatumnal antipodes,
Peter

Return to “Introduction”