LocoNet license fee

Moderator: Moderators

LocoNet license fee

Postby rjversluis » 17.08.2013, 10:31

It looks like Rocrail must pay a yearly fee for using LocoNet in its program

For using the LocoNet library a valid support key will be needed to participate in the yearly fee.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Richard-TX » 17.08.2013, 15:30

This decision by Digitrax really irks me. I already donate to the Rocrail project so it isn't about the money but it is the principle of the thing.

I suppose the wiki page will have to be changed.

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=donate-en
Richard-TX

Postby rjversluis » 17.08.2013, 15:45

I have no problem to become a licensee of Digitrax LocoNet because its them invention.
I'm trying to get in touch with Digitrax for years, but this time they seems to take Rocrail more serious. :)
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Richard-TX » 17.08.2013, 16:14

Well, the whole sequence of events is what bothers me.

A few months ago Digitrax says "no fee needed" Then they come back and say "We changed our mind". It is this sort of business practice that makes me uncomfortable. It is almost as if the decision process is an arbitrary one based on perception.
Richard-TX

Postby rjversluis » 17.08.2013, 16:30

Yes, you are right:
With regards to your final question it doesn't sound like you need a
license. As long as you are distributing the software free of charge you
would not need a license.

They seems to have reconsidered it and changed there minds about this statement.

Changing mind is not so easy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1N6RTiTpw
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby mith » 18.08.2013, 20:19

Hello,

this kind of pocedure that - in this case - Digitrax uses, is nowadays one of the commercial strategies of claiming additional money; the way to the target is not important, only the target itself counts.

I have already and will in the future donate to Rocrail to support the project itself. It isn´t the money. Here I am with Richard: it is the way they go.

But now, if LocoNet has to be licensed and when RR will get an official license of LocoNet, then Digitrax is forced to send ALL developing informations, means the complete manual of all (normal and extended) commands and feedback signals.
This will make RR develolpers able to improve the LN-library, means to realise a complete and fully compatible one in this RR project.

LN in RocRail is working fine yet for me. But from my point of view there is no reason not to improve functions for future needs.

Regards

Michael
mith

Postby rjversluis » 19.08.2013, 05:40

Hi Michael,

I disagree because the Non-Disclosure Agreement will not allow it to use in Open Source.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Richard-TX » 19.08.2013, 09:06

Based on my experience with things of this nature, I doubt that there is anything significant that digitrax can add to whatever documentation is already out there.

Personally I think that everyone should re-evaluate their layout and at least consider what alternatives there are to loconet. It is just too easy to buy/build something that is as good if not better than loconet and then migrate to that over time. BiDiB is one protocol that comes to mind.
Richard-TX

Postby Lillemats1 » 20.08.2013, 16:22

Hi Rob.

Is there any separate support key for LocoNet?

I have a valid key for Rocrail but when I start Rocrail I get the following message, "Due to license fee for Digitrax LocoNet(r) a valid support key is required" :?

I´ve checked the wiki but couldn't find anything about a separate key for Loconet.

Regards
Mats
Lillemats1

Postby rjversluis » 20.08.2013, 16:25

No, it is the same key.
Make sure the Rocrail server has access to that key.

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... _to_server
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby Lillemats1 » 20.08.2013, 17:58

Hi again Rob and thanks for quick reply.

Now it´s working. :D
I had to manually copy the key to the directory where Rocrail server is located.

Thanks very much for your help and have a nice day.

Regards
Mats
Lillemats1

Postby Pirat-Kapitan » 20.08.2013, 19:59

Hi Mats,
or put the real path to the key in Your rocrail.ini like this (column 1 of my ini):
<rocrail planfile="/home/pi/PB/PB-2013-07-28.xml" occupation="occ.xml" libpath="." imgpath="/home/pi/PB/Lokbilder" ptiid="" lciid="" dpiid="" sviid="" sciid="" scsensor="" createmodplan="false" poweroffonexit="false" donkey="" doneml="" analyze="false" occupancy="occ.xml" resetspfx="false" soundpath="sounds" soundplayer="" soundplayerlocation="false" backup="false" backuppath="backup" keypath="/home/pi/PB/lic.dat" issuepath="issues">

best Reagrds
Johannes
Clearasilfahrer auf Spur G&H0m, Lenz LZV (3.6), ORD-20, Manhart-Funki und WLM, RS-Bus Rückmelder (Reedkontakte/GBM),
Rocrail auf RasPi mit mobilen Geräten (andRoc). Details auf http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=use ... at-kapitan.
Pirat-Kapitan

Postby Maja » 20.08.2013, 22:23

rjversluis wrote:Yes, you are right:
With regards to your final question it doesn't sound like you need a
license. As long as you are distributing the software free of charge you
would not need a license.

They seems to have reconsidered it and changed there minds about this statement.

Sorry for my different view:

As Digitrax states As long as you are distributing the software free of charge you would not need a license

and Rocrail states to be free of charge ( https://play.google.com/store/search?q=rocrail&c=apps&hl=de ) obiviously there seems to be a misalignement which should be discussed openly.

Either Digitrax is mistaken or Rocrail is not free of charge - this will need urgent clarification!

At a next step, after clarification, decisions should be made:

if Rocrail is not free of charge, then either the protocol needs to be deinstalled or the license fees should cover the Digitrax license request!

Best regards!

Maja
Maja

Postby Lillemats1 » 21.08.2013, 16:41

Hi Johannes.

Thanks for the tip, for now it´s working but I think a change of computer isn't far away, and if so, i know what to do. :D

Regards.
Mats.
Lillemats1

Postby rjversluis » 21.08.2013, 19:45

I removed the restriction in the LocoNet library for the time being until Ms. Ireland comes with a proposal and then I will evaluate it again.
But its all very weird.
5747+
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Next

Return to Loconet