[SOLVED]GCA50 with DCS100 (no2)

Moderator: Moderators

[SOLVED]GCA50 with DCS100 (no2)

Postby mcnaugg » 21.12.2013, 18:13

I thought my previous concerns had been sorted out but I realise that I still have a query about one connection between the RJ12 and 9 pin connector.

According to the Digitrax DCS100 manual the RJ12 connections are

1. Rail Sync
2. Ground
3. Loconet
4. Loconet
5. Ground
6. Rail Sync

The connections shown in the MGV50 Wiki are shown as

1. Ground
2. RailSync-
3. Loconet
4. Railsync+
5. +V supply (13v)
6. Ground
7. NC
8. NC
9.+V supply (13v)

Question:
Are the two Loconet signals tied together on pin3 of the 9 pin?

If I'm correct the interconnections are:-

RG12-1 to 9pin-2 (railsync)
RG12-2 to 9pin-1 (Gnd)
RG12-3 to 9pin-3 (Loconet)
RG12-4 to 9pin-3 (Loconet)
RG12-5 to 9pin-6 (Grd)
RG12-6 to 9pin-?

The Digitrax manual does not show the + and - signs on the two RailSync connections. Does it matter which way round they are connected?

At this stage the cable will be connected directly to the DCS100 with a external power source providing the 13vDC to the MGV50 I/O unit. Can I presume that the 13v DC connections are only needed between various MGV units and are not needed between the DCS100 and the MGV50?

I have made a suitable cable to connect to the unused (at this time) second 9 pin to bring 13v dc power to MGV50 and that works ok, the green Led comes on and I have correct power (5v) on the IC sockets.

Sorry to keep asking questions but I was brought up when glass valves were still in fashion so the grey matter does not work so fast these days.

Gareth
Last edited by mcnaugg on 23.12.2013, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
mcnaugg

Postby RainerK » 23.12.2013, 07:07

Hi Gareth,

mcnaugg wrote:Question:
Are the two Loconet signals tied together on pin3 of the 9 pin?

Yes and I already answered a few days ago:
RainerK wrote:...the loconet lines 3+4 in RJ12 connectors are the same signal and are connected together in the terminating units.
So You only need to connect them together at the transition between RJ12 and D-SUB 9...

mcnaugg wrote:The Digitrax manual does not show the + and - signs on the two RailSync connections. Does it matter which way round they are connected?

a remark previously: Railsync doesn't needed for MGV50, it's only to supply additional boosters with the track signal over the loconet cable.

Digitrax named the railsync lines with indexes "A" and "B", please look this picture:
The meanings are: "B" = "+" and A" = "-".
Thats documented in several sources, but I now have no desire to look for it.

mcnaugg wrote:Can I presume that the 13v DC connections are only needed between various MGV units and are not needed between the DCS100 and the MGV50?

Yes, there is no line in the RJ12 cables for +13V and also is there no connector at the DCS100 where You could connect the +13V

Best Regards
RainerK
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136. Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby mcnaugg » 23.12.2013, 12:23

Hi Rainerk

Thanks for your patience.

Gareth
mcnaugg

Return to Loconet