connecting locos with a Digitrax CS

Moderator: Moderators

connecting locos with a Digitrax CS

Postby mcnaugg » 21.04.2014, 14:50

I have recently started with a Digitrax system and Rocrail and am having a number of problems. The Digitrax system is working fine on a simple length of track in the from of a U and I can control a loco in both directions without any problems. I have Rocrail running on a P4 with Windows XP.
I have not "designed" a new track plan yet but I have added a couple of locos to the list shown on the Virtual List.

With every thing switched on, when I change the throttle control on the Digitrax hand held the loco runs according to the throttle and I can see the changes on the screen. From the screen I can switch the track power on / off so I presume that the Server is on line and working.

However if I select one of my locos from the list it brings up a Throttle on the screen but it does not work i.e. there is no connection between the screen throttle and the loco. In the bottom right hane window marked "Controller" the input from the Hand Thottle is shown as " Set speed of loco in slot 10 to X". When I change the screen throttle position it is shown as " address =5 v= 3 (22) dir=fwd .................

Somewhere in the setup process my new loco has been allocated slot no 10 whilst the decoder address which I selected is 5.

Where is the correlation between slots and decoder addresses? How can the "slot" nos be changed. I don't seem to be able to find any ref to slots in the available doc.

I have GCA50 module along with a GCA93 current sensor module installed and these are working ok and are indicated on the "Controller" window.

I am sure that I am that I am doing something stupid and not ticking the right boxes.

So my questions are:- Must I design a new track plan for my locos to appear and connect? What are slots?
mcnaugg

Re: connecting locos

Postby rjversluis » 21.04.2014, 15:53

Must I design a new track plan for my locos to appear and connect?

No.
Check the interface settings of the newly added locos: Speed steps, Address, Protocol...

What are slots?

A piece of memory in the command station in which the state of the loco is saved.
A slot number has no relation with a decoder address.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby mcnaugg » 22.04.2014, 18:37

I have double checked the settings in the loco interface panel as suggested and I can not see where I am making the mistake.

The two decoder addresses that I am using for testing are 2 & 5.
Operating either one from the hand only shows slot numbers on the screen not the decoder address but the locos react to the input.
Using the Rocrail Throttle on the screen after selecting the loco from the list shows as an example the following; addr=5 v=7(56) dir=fwd lights on throttleid-(nul) but the locos DO NOT react to the input. Is "nul" correct?

If I right click on the loco in the loco table I get a programming tab. What ever I select here I cannot read the decoder cv's either on the main track or the programming track.

I have just tried the digitrax system on the JMRI system (Decoder pro) without changing any of the set up and I can read and program the decoders without any problems. I did not try the JMRI Panel Pro. So again it seems as I am doing something stupid somewhere in the setup.
mcnaugg

Postby rjversluis » 23.04.2014, 10:04

Just attach your plan.xml, rocrail.ini and rocrail.*.trc files in a Zip archive.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: connecting locos with a Digitrax CS

Postby mcnaugg » 27.04.2014, 17:54

Hi Rob

I have enclosed the requested files however since I zipped these files I have got the system working 80%.

Taking note of the comment in the Step by Step instructions about a clean install I decided to clean the PC HD and re-install windows (XP) and Rocrail. That did not show any improvement and the programm seemed to be running slow, so I tried another PC, still no improvement. I then tried my Laptop (running win7 home) and at first it still didn't work. I then changed the Protocol default setting (Server ) in the Loco Interface panel to NMRA-DCC and the two locos I had added started to work. However when I changed the setting back to the default setting (Server ) they still worked so I don't know what else I changed.

When I say that the system works 80% that is because the reading / writing of the CVs via the Programming tab in the Loco panel is still unreliable, some of the readings are nonsense.

Regards

Gareth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcnaugg

Postby Richard-TX » 28.04.2014, 03:37

You might try DCC-Long as a protocol as well.

If you have Digitrax decoders in your locos, you might try register mode. Register mode is what I have to use.
Richard
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas USA
Richard-TX

Postby mcnaugg » 29.04.2014, 17:35

I have tried several protocols without any real success. I have somehow managed to connect via my laptop using win7 home in that I can control my two locos via the screen throttles. I have a number of ordinary PC boxes where I have cleaned the HD completely (low level format etc) and re-loaded XP (+sp3) and even win7 professional. With the PC boxes the best I can get is see the changes taking place when I operate the Digitrax Hand throttle. I also have a Loconet 16 I/O (GCA50) unit and Current detector (GCA93) connected. I have a length of track set up into three sections via the current detectors and the locos can be seen passing from one section to another in the controller window so it seems that it is only the loco part that is not connecting.

Gareth
mcnaugg

Postby mcnaugg » 06.05.2014, 15:03

Don't ask how but I have now managed to connect Rocrail fully to my Digitrax system. The night before it would not connect fully i.e. the screen would show the changes made via the hand throttle but I could not control the locos via the screen throttles or switch the track power off or on. The next morning when I switched everything on it connected fully. The only thing that I did was to "disconnect and reconnect" several times. My Lap top (Win7 home) connected first so I then tried my main PC box (Win7 again) again disconnecting and reconnecting and it connected. I then tried another PC box with XP following the same procedure and it connected. The latter PC box was the one I wanted to use permanently so it is now tucked under the layout as the permanent PC.

Now I have to learn how to design a layout with sensors etc.
mcnaugg

Return to Loconet