Passing control between Command Stations?

Passing control between Command Stations?

Postby apemberton » 25.04.2018, 13:26

I have got to the stage where I want to transfer control of Locos from one command station's (DR5000) blocks to another command station (MX1EC) and vice versa (not R2R I think). I can see some configuration info in the Wiki, pointing to Rocrail configuration, but some practical examples would be helpful. I have used the search function here and in Google for more info but without much success. I would be grateful if someone could give me pointers to practical examples.

Thanks
N-Scale, DR5000 and Periphs, Zimo MX1EC and periphs,
Qdecoder OstEuropa for SZD signals (pending)
Rock64 4GB Armbian Rocrail Server
Fictional location, Great Patriotic War era.
apemberton

Re: Passing control between Command Stations?

Postby Donald » 25.04.2018, 13:54

Hello apemberton

Probability this: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=networking-en

Sincerely
Donald
Spur 0: Modelleisenbahn der schönsten Art
Donald Roschi
Donald

Postby apemberton » 25.04.2018, 14:33

Thanks for your feedback. I was aware of that Wiki page but that refers to two separate instances of Rocrail. I was looking at Command Mapping which, I think, is more appropriate for my system. I believe that allows commands to be exchanged between Command Stations for switches and locos in the same instance of Rocrail. It is just that I would like more practical detail beyond the Wiki implementing such a system (XML files would be useful).

Have fun!
apemberton

Postby rjversluis » 25.04.2018, 15:14

Why not using a booster for every logical part of the layout?
Or is the 120 refresh stack, number of loco slots, of the CS the bottleneck?
Are you running more then 100 locos simultaneously?
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby apemberton » 25.04.2018, 17:01

Why not using a booster for every logical part of the layout?

Possibly but since I already have a powerful, albeit old, (Zimo) Command station, I don't think the expense of new boosters are justified for the sake of a few lines of code?

Or is the 120 refresh stack, number of loco slots, of the CS the bottleneck?
Are you running more then 100 locos simultaneously?

This is not helpful and not an answer to my question. If the facility is available to use multiple command stations, I want to use it. It doesn't matter how many locos I want to run simultaneously. Perhaps Rocrail was the wrong choice of software!
apemberton

Postby LDG » 25.04.2018, 18:26

apemberton wrote:I have got to the stage where I want to transfer control of Locos from one command station's (DR5000) blocks to another command station (MX1EC) and vice versa (not R2R I think).
You want to drive loco A from area X powered by DR5000 to area Y powered by MX1EC and back to area X on your layout?
If yes: Are you planning to use "transfer tracks" between the areas ( X, Y) to switch power source between the two command stations to avoid short circuit (Rocrail R2R) ?
You declined to use rocrail r2r so this will lead to a brilliant short circuit between the (internal) boosters of the command stations and with high probability both may break down (show "magic digital smoke" and RIP).

apemberton wrote:...for the sake of a few lines of code?
apemberton wrote:Perhaps Rocrail was the wrong choice of software!
Good luck finding software that meets your needs with a few lines of code...

Bye,
Lothar
LDG
Site Admin

Postby apemberton » 25.04.2018, 19:52

You want to drive loco A from area X powered by DR5000 to area Y powered by MX1EC and back to area X on your layout?
If yes: Are you planning to use "transfer tracks" between the areas ( X, Y) to switch power source between the two command stations to avoid short circuit (Rocrail R2R) ?
You declined to use rocrail r2r so this will lead to a brilliant short circuit between the (internal) boosters of the command stations and with high probability both may break down (show "magic digital smoke" and RIP).

Indeed I have 'transfer tracks' between the command station domains. These are equipped with polarity reversal modules (kehrshleifen) and shortly with relays to kill overcurrent. That said, even without the reveral modules, a train has transferred itself across the command station domains without problem - luck I guess plus the inbuilt command station reversal. Under manual control on one side but Rocrail on the other. It must have been magic! :? Both command stations have overload protection so, yes a short circuit will be detected, but no, it should not bring about a cloud of locosmoke! Incidentally, I have had a Kato/Hobbytrain from a decade ago jump the tracks and shorted the track (their bogies were very poorly designed) resulting in two Kato split axle wheelsets melting and bogies destroyed. Nothing to do with Rocrail though.

As I stated previously, R2R appears to use two instances of Rocrail which implies two system servers unless there is generous DRAM available. Command mapping http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rocrailini-cmdmapping-enseems to allow passing commands between Command Stations within the same instance of Rocrail. Hence my inquiry about any practical examples. In any case, I shall experiment!

I have used Zimo's (E Sperrer) STP in the past and I have bought a licence to Freiwald's Railroad & Co. But those are for Windows and I am actively getting away from proprietary systems, preferring Linux, ARM and openSource. Since I use XML scripts for my internal PBX system, I thought Rocrail would fit the bill. Thus perhaps 'a few lines of code' is an exaggeration. I havn't yet got to setting up blocks, routes or sensors but my 'plan.xml' is nearly 30K already. Anyway, I like a technical challenge, keeps the grey matter from deteriorating in my 8th decade!

I'm sorry but I have deviated and most of that should have been in the intro pages.
apemberton

Postby rjversluis » 26.04.2018, 13:28

Hi,

if you already have transfer sections, the only thing missing is to send all loco commands to both command stations.
Nevertheless this is a very odd solution for saving money for boosters...
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby rjversluis » 26.04.2018, 14:51

Hi,

I added an "All" option to the loco Interface ID:
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 15.48.46.png

All loco and function commands will be send to all connected command stations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards, Rob.
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby apemberton » 26.04.2018, 17:35

Thank you very much. I will look at your additions very shortly. I think this fits the bill very nicely! :thumb_up:

As an aside, I have been XML coding for a Kato scissors crossing (catalogue 20-210) using the examples for single crossings shewn in the wiki. With 4 switches, the code seems quite long but it works. Would the code snippet be useful? If so, should I post it in the forum?

Thanks again, Tony P.
apemberton

Postby apemberton » 07.05.2018, 17:10

LDG wrote:
apemberton wrote:I have got to the stage where I want to transfer control of Locos from one command station's (DR5000) blocks to another command station (MX1EC) and vice versa (not R2R I think).

Well I did suffer from
"magic digital smoke" and RIP
on one Lenz 0521 decoder when switching from one CS to the other CS. After investigation, I found I had miswired the track polarity at the double break. There was no reversal unit so there was a bright blue spark and a dead BR52! As a result, I have simplified the wiring and paid more attention to track polarity and reversal units. Thanks also to the 'ALL' checkbox when configuring Loks. Works a treat now!

The BR 52 decoder had a completely missing transistor, just the solder leads of the package visible. Fortunately I have spare decoders in stock so I could have replaced like for like. However I have chosen to update the lok with a sound decoder with Railcom and I'm quite impressed. Looks like my soldering skills will be revived and quite a number of old loks will be retrofitted as funds and time permit!

Now for mastering OhSSD signalling - the first signals are lit (using Qdecoder OstEuropa accessory decoders) but not yet operational under Rocrail!
apemberton

Return to General