Issue: Locs no longer controlled

erikg

Issue: Locs no longer controlled

Post by erikg » 27.10.2018, 13:33

I'm trying to build up a simple test rail plan to learn how to connect and control the GCA CANbus hardware, and run trains in automatic mode. Until recently everything was working (reasonably) well. Now, not so much.

My locomotives are no longer active when connected to rail power. They used to until about a week ago: Light came on when power was switched on and the loc moved when a speed was selected. Now there is no light (despite lights being selected “on” in the control panel). If a speed is selected, the loc does not move and the mode of the loc changes from "stop" to “rv#####” where ‘#####’ is some number. This number is usually different wih every test. In this case it says “rv24120”. This mode stays until a reset is done from the loco context menu, then it returns to ‘stop’.

When the loc is connected to a different system (Lenz LZ100/LV100/LH100 combination) it works as expected, without problems: Lights are on, the loc moves when ordered.

The CAN-GC1e interface and the CAN-GC3 central apparently work: when clicking the lightbulb in rocview, the leds indicating track power come on and go off correspondingly. An oscilloscope attached to the rails show the DCC power (24V peak-to-peak for the programming track connection, and 36V p-p for the ORD-3). Other functions of the CAN bus work, such as controlling the switch sw1 via CAN-GC6.

What did I do before this problem started?
As I am fiddling with many settings in Rocrail while trying to get everything working in automatic mode, I have no idea what action, if any, may have caused this.

This problem makes Rocrail and all the CANbus hardware practically unusable :(
Attachments
issue.zip
(15.99 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

smitt48

Re: Issue: Locs no longer controlled

Post by smitt48 » 14.11.2018, 12:47

Hi Erik,
In this case it says “rv24120”.
This means the loco is operated manually in Rocrail, therefor the bold text in the block for the loco.
https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=loc-tab-en#mode

Last entry on the second table.

Tom

erikg

Post by erikg » 21.11.2018, 19:33

smitt48 wrote:
14.11.2018, 12:47
In this case it says “rv24120”.
This means the loco is operated manually in Rocrail, therefor the bold text in the block for the loco.
Thank you for pointing out the right place in the manual. I often find it hard to locate the wiki page which describes the part of Rocrail I'm looking for.

I never saw this 'rv...' mode before, so presumably the display of this information is a recently added feature. As I understand it now, this mode will show up any time you use cab controls (speed slider, function buttons, etc.)

Does anyone know if the number after 'rv' can be used for anything? Does it refer to anything you can look up? Or is this purely internal (debug) information?

By the way: changing the 'Manual operated/Automatically operated' setting from the menu for the locomotive to either state does not solve the problem.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 22.11.2018, 08:36

Hi,

rv = Rocview
24120 = Process ID of Rocview

See also:

Return to “General”