[solved] Burned signal coil!

fnielsen

[solved] Burned signal coil!

Post by fnielsen » 11.10.2015, 09:10

Hey.
I have a Märklin Semaphore signal with a Double coil (item 7039). For some reason the right side of the coil has burned/melted.

To test what had happend i installed another signal, with the same result.
I found out that they turn hot (and slowly melts) when im driving in Auto Mode. Its like the signal locks to the position of red or green, depending on what the signal should show.

I tryed to do things in the signal setup, like choosing "switch" or "pair gates" in the signal interface, but nothing changes!!!

What am i missing? The problem came somewhere after an update some weeks ago...

Regards to all
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: Burned Signal.....!!!

Post by rjversluis » 11.10.2015, 09:45

Hi Martin,

just for the record: Software, in this case Rocrail, cannot made responsible for destroying hardware.

To your issue:
Normally the Command Station has an timer option on how long an output will be activated.
If not you should configure your decoder that it shutoff outputs after a period of time.

Besra

Post by Besra » 11.10.2015, 10:02

Hey Martin,

very sad picture :(
How did you set up the switch times in the Intellibox and did you follow the suggestions concerning timing? Please also provide your rocrail.ini.
What type of decoder do you use? Obviously it does not limit the power-on time, which is always risky.

Best regards
Besra

eroncelli

Post by eroncelli » 11.10.2015, 10:23

Those signals by Maerklin require an "impulse" to switch them.
If voltage is maintained, as there is no limit switch to cut off voltage after changing position, surely they'll burn.
Maybe you controlled them through a k84 or similar ?

fnielsen

Post by fnielsen » 11.10.2015, 10:29

Hey
And thank you for your answers. I will check the intellibox in a few minuttes, - didnt know that...

Thank you

Martin

PS. Rocrail will NOT hear from any of my lawyers :wink:

fnielsen

Post by fnielsen » 11.10.2015, 10:29

eroncelli wrote:Those signals by Maerklin require an "impulse" to switch them.
If voltage is maintained, as there is no limit switch to cut off voltage after changing position, surely they'll burn.
Maybe you controlled them through a k84 or similar ?

No its a K83

fnielsen

Post by fnielsen » 11.10.2015, 11:14

Tryed to change the time in IB2 and also changed the switch times in rocrail but no luck. The coil is still getting warm... hm...

I dont get it. that signal has been on my layout for more tha six month and had no problems earlier...

fnielsen

Post by fnielsen » 11.10.2015, 11:21

I restarted everything. computer intellibox etc etc, and now it seems to work...

thank you

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 12.10.2015, 10:56

Hi,

the component, which is directly connected to signal, should handle this deactivating.
All other solutions will lead to unwanted destructions.

rvooyen

Re: [solved] Burned signal coil!

Post by rvooyen » 14.10.2015, 19:31

Hi, I have marklin also.
I also sometimes have switches that remain powered. Since you can hear this, l simply operate them and this turns off the power.

This is caused by your Command Station in combination with the decoder module. The CS needs to send both an on and an off say 300ms later. This is the puls. I use viesmann 5211 decoders. Sometimes the CS does not send or the decoder does not hear the off command and the solenoid remians active. I also have had one side of a solenoid burn out.

Since I have a free CS (Mrdirect) in SW on a pc, I think it is this. One day I intend to get a true CS, like Intellibox or Tams MC I hope it will then go away.

Note Rocrail has nothing to do with the hardware switching, it does not know about pulses etc. The CS needs to handle this.

Robert

fnielsen

Post by fnielsen » 17.10.2015, 11:10

Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply. I can see that you have the same observations as me. Glad i'm not alone.

Regards

Martin

PS. after i posted this for the first time i have testet my layout again. And Robert your right. When i turn on automode signals and switches are locked to their position, but when you
Switch them manual, they stop beeing in a locked mode

mith

Post by mith » 18.10.2015, 00:48

Hi all,
rvooyen wrote:The CS needs to handle this.Robert
The Decoder itself needs to handle this by a protecting curcuit. Since it knows, when an on command occured, it can shut down its outputs after for example 300 ms.
My "old" Tams WD1 behaves this way as a standard property.

Best regards

Michael

rvooyen

Post by rvooyen » 18.10.2015, 07:47

Yes also.

However the Viessmann 5211 that I have seems to leave the ppwer on for some specific outputs.
I have 30+ turnoits. Nr 10, nr 21, 23 regularly leave power on and you hear the solenoid humming.
By operating the output this stops.

Maybe a 5211 issue?

Robert

Return to “Signal Systems”