Distant Signals in Automatic Mode Topic is solved

KPeter

Re: Distant Signals in Automatic Mode

Post by KPeter » 04.03.2019, 15:31

In my opinion "Fade" would be the correct term. Same as in theater or videography where the phrase "fade to black" is used when changing from a lit situation to a dark situation. Timing of the fading can be very quick to slow.

Now back to my question. I was looking at the wrong screen for the Action Commands and have now found the correct location under the Route General tab. However, in your example included in the linked document you turn the distant signal to yellow (yellow/green) when the train goes from Block A to Block Gleis 1. What turns the distant signal back to red (yellow/yellow)?

Peter G.

peter&basti

Post by peter&basti » 04.03.2019, 16:36

Hi Peter,
What turns the distant signal back to red (yellow/yellow)?
It depends. In a 1:1 situation the reset commands both for main signal and distant signal are defined in the route command definition.
V-sig.PNG
For the more complex situations the reset cmd is driven by actions or scripts. I have to read my own tutorial how i did, maybe later this evening :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Besra

Post by Besra » 04.03.2019, 17:47

Hi,

I don't know if signaling systems in the USA / UK or other English speaking countries use this "blanking" of a distant signal. In fact, the German technical term used is "Dunkeltastung". The English translation for "Dunkeltastung" is blanking.
The technical term blanking, to my knowledge, is not used very often. The term is found in connection with cathode ray tubes (ancient television) for example. See Wikipedia: Blanking (video), Horizontal blanking interval, Vertical blanking interval. It always means: Something electrically operated is (rapidly and temporarily) switched off.

Regards
Bernd

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 04.03.2019, 17:58

Hi Bernd,
Wikipedia:
Light signals at the mast of the backward main signal are darkened at the DB when the main signal above it is in stop position. The very similar systems using Austrian and Swiss railways did not participate initially, with them the respective Vorsignale remained switched on in warning position.
darkened is used here.

Tom

Besra

Post by Besra » 04.03.2019, 19:39

Hello Tom,

darkening or dimming are OK. They both describe the effect: the light is off (for some reason).
Blanking is the technical term, darkening and dimming are more general and perhaps easier to understand...

Regards
Bernd

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 04.03.2019, 19:47

Darkening would be more proper since dimming generally implies that the light is still on, even if barely visible, but nevertheless on.

peter&basti

Post by peter&basti » 04.03.2019, 21:00

Hi all,

last but maybe not least one further comment from my side:

Please keep in mind, the german expression "Dunkeltasten" is also very specific/strange and AFAIK only used in official railway speak.

Therefore "blank" will be also useful in Rocrail speak :wink:

peter&basti

Post by peter&basti » 04.03.2019, 21:32

Hi Peter,

after a long conversation about naming "blanked" distant signals, here some hints for you based on the example plan in the wiki:

1. Special case Route from BlockA to BlockB

- The main signal at enter of Block a have three distant signals, located in Gleis1, Gleis2, Gleis3
- only one of the distant signal is not blanked
- Therefore in the route from BlockA to BlockB all three distant signals can be set
- After leaving the route all three distant signals are resetted to yellow-yellow according to the red main signal.
V-sig-A-B.PNG
This will be valid for a single track leaving the location but may be not for a double track...

2. special case Route common distant signal for the three main signals to leave Gleis1-3

For this case i wrote the script to set the right aspect when entering Gleis1 to Gleis3

Today it seems also for me that the reset of the aspect may be missing.
After renewal of the wiki i have no timestamp, but i think it was about 2 years ago when i wrote this tutorial and this script.

I have to rethink, but this may need time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 05.03.2019, 16:06

Thank you.

Well I may be in way over my head in getting this working. I have never dealt with script files and I have the following questions which may seem silly to users that are familiar with this programming.

1. Do I just copy the script file from your sample Plan included in the WIKI into my Rocrail folder?
2. Do I then create a separate script file for each route or is there just one common script file that picks up the user defined names for %callerid%, Signal @Main_%callerid%, Ziel, etc.?

Sorry for these questions, but I just don't know how this is handled.

Peter G.

peter&basti

Post by peter&basti » 05.03.2019, 16:31

Hi Peter,

the script is a xml file, usually you copy it from the demo workspace into your rocrail folder or a script-subfolder, as you like it.

The script will be called and executed by a action ("call external program"). In this action you can browse the script file.

So you need only one script and one action. The action is always the same in each route.

I proposed two versions of the script:

- version 1 you have to follow the naming conventions of the signals
- version 2 you can hand over the name of the signals as parameter in the action call

Both are common generic scripts, you call it in the necessary routes by the same action (version 2 needs adding the parameters in the action call)

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 05.03.2019, 18:19

Whew, relief. Thank you.

I was worried i would need to start programming at my age.

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 05.03.2019, 19:27

I hate to be a PITA but where can I find the XML file for Version 2? The demo Plan appears to only have the Version 1 XML script file.

peter&basti

Post by peter&basti » 05.03.2019, 20:30

Hi Peter,

see attachement for Script V2

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 01.05.2019, 23:48

I have most of this working satisfactorily now, however, I still get some strange behaviour which I believe is due to the signal command being Locked instead of Open. So my understanding is that Lock is definite for that route to show the colour selected and it stays that way until the Route is free and then returns to an Open red state. Correct?

Open, i do not quite understand how it functions. If I try Open the signal usually stays at yellow-yellow, so I am obviously not understanding something. In the WiKi sample layout most of the Routes have Open signals except for the Block C to Gleis# routes which show lock for the green or yellow. How is the Open command supposed to work or how does it get triggered to change colour?

Thanks
Peter

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 03.05.2019, 15:27

Perhaps I should rephrase my question, since my previous one was probably too open ended.

Here is my understanding:

- Setting Lock in a route command for the A and V signals overrides the command that Rocrail normally would issue and leaves the signal in the colour/aspect that has been locked until it is reset
- Adding the Open and At Free selections in the route command for the same A and V signals resets these signals to the normal default (usually red)

Where my confusion is coming in is when referring to the WIKI sample plan:

- The A and V signals in routes A to B and B to C all have Open commands followed by Open and At Free selected

Is this not the normal Rocrail function in Automatic mode without listing these commands? To me it seems redundant unless I am missing something about adding the Open commands in the selected routes. This is what I am seeking confirmation or clarification on.

Thanks
Peter

Return to “Signal Systems”