Distant Signals in Automatic Mode Topic is solved

Besra

Re: Distant Signals in Automatic Mode

Post by Besra » 04.05.2019, 10:45

Hi Peter,

are we talking about route commands?
Your problem in understanding is about the Type (Lock / Protect / Open)? Just leave the type to the default, open.
Setting Lock in a route command for the A and V signals overrides the command that Rocrail normally would issue and leaves the signal in the colour/aspect that has been locked until it is reset
Signals can be linked with either blocks or with routes, do not link a signal with both a block and a route (except you know what you are doing ;)). Thus, no command is overridden.
If a signal is linked with a block Rocail takes care of setting/resetting the signal aspects properly.
If linked with a route, the proper command must be selected from the commands tab, for instance green. And, additionally, the proper command for resetting the signal must be selected from the commands tab as well, using the "at free" option.
Is this not the normal Rocrail function in Automatic mode without listing these commands?
Yes, in general case the result is the same. Linking signals with routes is more flexible and allows for, e.g., speed indications other than "standard".

Regards
Bernd

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 04.05.2019, 14:32

Thank you. That explains it very well. I did not consider the difference between linking signals for a block vs a route.

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 13.05.2019, 16:15

Removing the signal assignments from the individual blocks and listing the commands in the routes has made all the difference in the world for consistent operation.

However, I find that some of the signal assignments in the WIKI sample plan appear to be one route too late. I am going on the basis of having the distant signal display as the loco departs a block, not when the loco departs the next block and cannot see it. For example in the WIKI plan, if I have the loco in Block A going to Block B the Block A to Block B commands are such that the A_BlockA and associated V_BlockA signals turn green. How would any loco ever see the V_BlockA green aspect? The same applies for the commands for the Block B to Block C route. If I put these commands in the previous route, I seem to get the proper distant signal operation.

Again am I missing something or is my observation correct?

Peter

Besra

Post by Besra » 19.05.2019, 08:13

Hi Peter,

generally the main and the associated distant signal have to be assigned to the same route (or block). Otherwise the distant signal may show an aspect not fitting to it's main signal: The main signal could show "green" while the main signal is still on "red" -> not OK.

How would any loco ever see the V_BlockA green aspect?
Using the Reserve second next block option could help.

Regards
Bernd

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 14.06.2019, 15:51

I think I have solved my problem and have this working correctly now for a number of routes. I think the problem I was encountering is a communication/protocol problem with the CS2, LDT decoder on Motorola protocol, and Rocrail Patterns or Default selection. I could just not get consistent functioning of the signals themselves (The Rocview screen showed correctly).

I have rewired all of the decoders and the associated settings for DCC protocol and Patterns only and everything now functions as it should.

Thank you for your help, since this requires a bit of a learning curve.

I notice in Besra's User Page there is a Theme available for more realistic colour schemes for the DB signal symbols. I believe these are only available upon special request. Can you please send me these or direct me to where I can download that theme?

Thank you.
Peter

Besra

Post by Besra » 15.06.2019, 10:33

Hi Peter,
[...]now functions as it should.
:D :thumb_up:
Thank you for your help, since this requires a bit of a learning curve.
You are wellcome! And yes, I know it's not too easy.
I notice in Besra's User Page there is a Theme available for more realistic colour schemes for the DB signal symbols.
Thank you! They are more realistic compared to the prototypical signals, but not in comparison with the symbols / switches on a prototypical control table.
You inspired me to make a quick translation of the page: https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=be ... sh:symbols :wink:
I believe these are only available upon special request.
Yes, see https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=be ... ownloading :wink:
Which symbols would you like to have?

Regards
Bernd

KPeter

Post by KPeter » 16.06.2019, 14:40

Thank you Bernd for providing me with your signal symbols. They look great.

Out of curiosity did you do something similar for the distant signals that shows the yellow lights on top and the green lights on the bottom of the diagonal?

Regards
Peter

Besra

Post by Besra » 17.06.2019, 14:42

Hi Peter,

I didn't touch distant signals at all because I don't use them - in the plan.
My distant signals are either wired in parallel with their main signals (electromechanical semaphores) or are controlled by a signal decoder which manages both main and distant signal at the same time, including blanking of the distant signal and so on (colour light signals). Thus no need for the symbols in the plan plus no extra commands needed for the distant signals 8) .

But - somebody else made his own distant signal symbols. After seeing my main signals he wanted those: https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=10 ... e_zu_besra. Individual but fitting - take a look.

Regards
Bernd

Return to “Signal Systems”