[solved] Simulating single track permission tokens

idlemarvel

[solved] Simulating single track permission tokens

Post by idlemarvel » 18.12.2014, 10:31

I have a question about tokens used to control a single track line.
A loco driver holds a token giving him permission to use a section of track, and at the end of that section he hands over the token to a signalman, maybe being given another token if the next section is also single track, assuming that section is free.
So my question is how would you simulate this with Rocrail, both logically and visually, so that locos would not be allowed to proceed without a token, and the ability to exchange tokens with a virtual signalman.
Thanks for any ideas.
Last edited by idlemarvel on 03.01.2015, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

idlemarvel

Re: Simulating single track permission tokens

Post by idlemarvel » 01.01.2015, 15:21

I have come up with a solution to this. I'm sure there are other probably better ways of achieving this, but here goes.
This is an example of a siding off a single line controlled by a ground frame lever.
(If you want to know about ground frames try here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever_frame

The point/switch is controlled from the ground frame. Output symbols are used to represent the token release mechanisms. There would be one in a signal box and one by the ground frame.
The driver of a loco wishing to use the siding would stop and request a token. Both output symbols are red indicating that neither has claimed a token. In this state the ground frame token can be released and the point/switch set to turnout.

Now suppose the signalman wishes to release a token to allow another loco to use the single line. In this state the token is in use by the ground frame and cannot be released until the drive of the loco on the siding sets the point/switch to normal/straight and replaces the token.

The driver of the loco in the siding has returned the point to normal and returned the token. Now the signalman can request a token and give it to the driver of the loco waiting to use the single line. The driver of the loco in the siding then has to wait for that token to be returned(perhaps triggered by a sensor further down the line) before he can switch the point to return to the single line.

Definitions (abbreviated)
There are two outputs defined, cot1 (signal box) and cot2 (ground frame), two actions to set the switch, and two actions to set the outputs to off if the other output is on.

Code: Select all

<colist>
    <co id="cot1" …>
      <actionctrl id="cot1_off" … state="on">
        <actioncond id="cot2" state="on" type="co"/>
      </actionctrl>
    </co>
    <co id="cot2" …>
      <actionctrl id="swgf_turnout" … state="on">
        <actioncond id="cot1" state="off" type="co"/>
        <actioncond id="swgf" state="straight" type="sw"/>
      </actionctrl>
      <actionctrl id="swgf_straight" … state="off">
        <actioncond id="swgf" state="turnout" type="sw"/>
      </actionctrl>
      <actionctrl id="cot2_off" … state="on">
        <actioncond id="cot1" state="on" type="co"/>
      </actionctrl>
    </co>
  </colist>
Last edited by idlemarvel on 01.01.2015, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.

idlemarvel

Post by idlemarvel » 01.01.2015, 15:28

Not quite sure why the pictures have not appeared. I have used Img button to create img tags and put a URL pointing to the images on onedrive which I have checked are working, What trick am I missing?

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 01.01.2015, 15:35

Hi Dave,

the links you provide do not point to an image but to a page.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 01.01.2015, 15:37

You can use the "View original" Link:

https://public.bn1304.livefilestore.com ... PNG?psid=1

idlemarvel

Post by idlemarvel » 01.01.2015, 17:56

Thanks Rob, I will edit the original post with the view original links. You learn something new every day! :-)

Return to “Signal Systems”