Duplicate Decoders or Consisting?  [✔]

apemberton

Duplicate Decoders or Consisting?

Post by apemberton » 05.12.2018, 08:58

I am going to fit decoders into an old Roco N-scale V.188 dual diesel locomotive. One decoder is overloaded trying to power two motors. This is not a Rocrail problem.

I have fitted one of the two units with a Lenz SilverMini+ in place of an old LE011. However, under full load, the decoder cuts out with a warning. Therefore I think I need to put a second decoder into the other unit.

My question is:-

Do I configure identical decoders with the same CV's in both? Might that cause a problem with railcom feedback?

Or

Set the decoders with different addresses and use a consist address to control both units?

Opinions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance and in anticipation,
Tony

Besra

Re: Duplicate Decoders or Consisting?

Post by Besra » 05.12.2018, 10:27

Hi Tony,

my H0 V188 has two motors and one decoder. No problem at all :D
If you can't find a decoder with sufficient power output you can either remove one motor or add one decoder :wink:
In the last case:
[...]configure identical decoders with the same CV's in both
[...]
Might that cause a problem with railcom feedback?
This may be a problem (I don't use Railcom, therfore speculation only) but switching off Railcom in one decoder should solve it?
Set the decoders with different addresses and use a consist address to control both units?
If the decoders themselves offer the consist feature this is probably the best solution.

Regards
Bernd

apemberton

Re: Duplicate Decoders or Consisting?  [✔]

Post by apemberton » 05.12.2018, 11:54

Thanks Bernd,

Yes, I thought of turning off Railcom after I originally posted but I still feel that duplicate decoders might be a problem.

I will go for the consisting solution though.

Incidentally, I do not want to de-motor one of the units as I expect it to haul a K5 railgun which is heavy!

Ta muchley, Tony

Return to “Smalltalk”