Rocrail and the CS2

Rocrail and the CS2

Postby A&J » 01.05.2011, 00:55

Hello all:

I have recently returned to the whole computer control thing again and this time, I have made some more progress... yes, after 8 months of on again, off again trials and errors, I now have Rocrail being able to turn on or turn off power to my layout. However, it would be nice to get my locomotives to move :oops: Rocrail's information mentions something about using the interface with MFX locomotives and that the information is available on the wikipages. Okay, I've read the pages and honestly, I'm no further ahead. Would someone be able to guide me through what I have to do in order to get my locomotives up and running. I'm sorry but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to codes or programing unless it's plug and play. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely
James B
A&J

Postby RAFHAAA96 » 01.05.2011, 17:54

Hi James
Welcome to Rocrail.
I can only suggest you go to this link and take it from there.
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=stepbystep-en
Robbie
Regards Rob.
Halton Brat
OO gauge - Hornby Elite & eLink CS & Accessory Decoders - Win 8 - 64 bit.
RAFHAAA96

Postby A&J » 02.05.2011, 16:34

Hello All:

After what seemed like an eternity, I have finally discovered the joy of Rocrail :)

I just want to thank everyone who put up with my rants. Rocrail rules.

I just would like to know if anyone out there knows how to decipher Marklin MFX locomotives for registration in Rocrail. So far, I've only been able to get non-MFX locomotives to run.
A&J

Postby Besra » 02.05.2011, 16:51

Hi James,

I do not know what the actual problem with your MFX-locos is, but did you read and follow this chapter (http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=cs2:cs2-en#mfx-decoder_support)?

Best regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

CS2 locomotive files

Postby A&J » 02.05.2011, 18:28

Besra:

Thanks for the link, however I followed the instructions, but when I went to read the file, Imy computer informed me that it couldn't recognize the file extension .tgz and when I went to the net to try to find a program to read them, the site requested that I purchase their registry scan program. My question is... how do I read .tgz files?
A&J

Postby LDG » 02.05.2011, 18:49

Hi James,

.tgz is equal to .tar.gz which is a common archive format on unix/linux .

If you are running Windows you may try 7-zip (open source / free) to unpack the archive.

Regards,
Lothar
LDG
Site Admin

Postby Besra » 02.05.2011, 18:56

Hi James,

wiki advises to look at the file locomotive.cs2. Either you downloaded the wrong file from your CS or Marklin changed something or the wiki is missing a hint :wink: . Following Wikipedia .tgz files are compressed files which can, for example, be extracted using 7-zip (Open Source).

Best regards
Besra

O.K. someone was faster ;)
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Besra

Tgz files

Postby A&J » 03.05.2011, 01:12

Thanks for all of the help everyone, after a bit of hit and miss I was able to retrieve some of the locomotive info. needed. Now, I have to figure out how to change the hex number to decimal. My math skills stopped the day I left grade 12. (too long ago for my aging brain) If anyone knows of a conversion program where I could just punch in the appropriate number/letters, I would appreciate it, if not, then I will have to take my numbers to the local high school to get help :D

Once again, thanks for all the help guys, I'll probably be needing more when it comes to other parts of the program. Come to think of it, is there any sort of special way to use my photo files to load into the system for locomotive recognition. I have taken my photos and changed them to ,png files, but I can't get them to load into the locomotive configuration menu.

Sincerely
James
A&J

Postby RAFHAAA96 » 03.05.2011, 07:08

Regards Rob.
Halton Brat
OO gauge - Hornby Elite & eLink CS & Accessory Decoders - Win 8 - 64 bit.
RAFHAAA96

Postby Besra » 03.05.2011, 09:23

Hi,

Windows users may also use the built-in calculator for hex-to-decimal conversions. Simply switch it to hex, enter the number, switch back to decimal.

Concerning the loco pictures wiki states
Images should be 230 pixels wide by 80 pixels maximum, and in one of the supported formats.
The quoted dimensions must not be exceeded. Additionally, in the German part of the wiki a maximum size of 50kB is given.
To obtain a picture in a valid dimension and size cut out the relevant part of the picture (the loco only with as little background as possible), then resize the remaining picture. Usually the hight has to be reduced to 80 pixels while the aspect ratio is maintained. I personally use Coral Draw for the conversion but there are plenty of other programs supporting the relevant operations. Try XnView for example: Mark the relevant part of the picture with the mouse, press the scissors button (Crop), select "Resize..." from the "Image" menu, set the height within the "Screen Size" dimensions to 80 pixels, press OK and save the file.

Best regards
Besra
Besra

Converting Hexadecimal Numbers to Decimal

Postby Besra » 03.05.2011, 10:02

Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm teaching you something you probably never wanted to know about. Just to show it's simple:

Let's take the number 25 and have a look at the figure below:
The digits in binary (from the right to the left) count for 1, 1x2=2, 2x2=4, 4x2=8, 8x2=16 and 16x2=32 (to be correct it is 2^0, 2^1, 2^3 and so on). 25 in binary format would be 1 time 16 plus 1 time 8 plus 1: 11001
Hexadecimal (the digits counting for 1, 16 and 256, 16^0, 16^1,16^2) it will be 1 time 16 plus 9: 19
Decimal, finally, the digits again from the right to the left count for 1, 1x10=10 and 10x10=100 (or 10^0, 10^1 and 10^2 to be correct). So 25 is two times 10 plus 5: 25

Best regards
Besra
Besra

Hexadecimals

Postby A&J » 03.05.2011, 22:25

Robbie, Besra:

Thank you so much for the help, as for the pictures, I tried taking a copy of one of the demo locomotives (the E.03) and copied it into photoshop. I then made a blank copy into which I inserted my own picture and saved it as a .png file. I will recheck it to see what the size of the file is, which could be my problem.

As for the hexadecimal conversions, I'm thinking that there must be something wrong with the way my controller is issuing addresses. For example, my VT 798 Rail bus comes up with:

.uid=0x4005
.name=BR 798 716-7
.adresse=0x4f
.typ=mfx
.sid=0x5

which would suggest to me that the conversion would come out to 5, However, when I entered the number into Rocrail, it ended up controlling my BR 44 which was listed as:

.uid=0x4008
.name=BR 44 494
.typ=mfx
.sid=0x8

Very confusing :D

I will eventually get these engines entered, but it might be a case of trial and error. :?

Thanks for the calculator by the way, it will hopefully help. So far, I've been able to put at least half of my locomotives into the program, I've created a preliminary track plan and the switches that I have which are controllable are working fine.

Regards
A&J

Postby Besra » 04.05.2011, 09:42

Hi

James wrote:.sid=0x5 which would suggest to me that the conversion would come out to 5, However, when I entered the number into Rocrail, it ended up controlling my BR 44 which was listed as: [...] .sid=0x8

Does anyone know about such an offset?

James wrote:I will eventually get these engines entered, but it might be a case of trial and error.
Sometimes the method of choice ;) Might not be a big deal, though: The CS2 possibly assigns consecutive numbers to the locos starting with 1?

Best regards
Besra
Besra

Postby A&J » 04.05.2011, 17:28

Besra:

You are absolutely right on that. I just started opening a NEW locomotive and punched in the numbers. Most of my 35 locs are now in the system. :)

As for the pictures, I found that if I clicked on the picture window, my image files came up and I could click on the picture to add it to Rocrail. However, as soon as I went to another locomotive and then returned to the controller of the first loco, the picture disappeared. I'm thinking that it has to do with the file size. I'm using .png files, but they are about 105 k's, so I'll try reducing the file size and retry.

Thank you so much for all of your help. It's good to see the help and support here.

Sincerely
James
A&J

Postby Besra » 05.05.2011, 21:54

I am glad to be of some help, James!

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards
Besra
Besra

Next

Return to Smalltalk