Start-up problems with Hornby Elite

Post Reply
OllyGoodchild

Start-up problems with Hornby Elite

Post by OllyGoodchild » 14.04.2010, 10:18

I am completely new to railway modelling and have very limited computer programming experience.
My system is a Hornby Elite (+ 1.3 software) controlling a small shunting yard (all Hornby) and am comparing JMRI and Rocrail (Under windows XP).
I created my layout in rocview and modified rocrail.ini as per the web links.
All seems to be in order but when I try to change points I get the message "Interface ID not set". Have added Interface ID to points properties but that makes no difference.
Possible clue -- on the rocrail screen on start-up one of the messages refers to failure to load xpressnet.dll. Do I need to instal this file. It does not seem to instal with Rocrail.
Many thanks for any advice.
Olly Goodchild
Attachments
olly1.xml
(11.57 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
rocrail.ini
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

ron&bram
Posts: 2460
Joined: 11.06.2008, 19:34
Location: Heemskerk, Netherlands

Post by ron&bram » 14.04.2010, 12:05

Hi Olly,

The "interface id not set" means that Rocrail is not able to find the driver for the command station. This yhas all to do with the message that it could not load xpressnet.dll. You do not have to install anything, but you need to make sure that all the .dll files that came with the Rocrail package are in the same directory as where you start Rocrail.

Best regards, Ronald

OllyGoodchild

Post by OllyGoodchild » 14.04.2010, 16:15

Hi Ronald,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
The Rocrail & Rocview exe's plus dll's are in the Prog Files/Rocrail folder. There is no xpressnet.dll but there is a lenz.dll (Hornby is a subset of Lenz ??)
The log(trace) files, ini files and layout files are in a My Docs/Rocrail folder.
I used the computer to update the Elite software (firmware ??) to 1.3 so there is obviously a driver hiding on the computer somewhere. I have done a search for xpressnet.dll but there isn't one.
Also tried firing up the elite and then the computer and then vice versa but with the same result as before.
Best Regards
Olly

ron&bram
Posts: 2460
Joined: 11.06.2008, 19:34
Location: Heemskerk, Netherlands

Post by ron&bram » 14.04.2010, 18:25

Hi Olly,

All depends on the version (revision) of Rocrail that you are using. Version 1.3 revision 982 or so has lenz, with sublib elite, the head revision (snapshot) version 1.4, revision 1520 or so has xpressnet and no lenz and there are versions that have both. You can find version and revision in Rocview, help, about. When you have only a lenz.dll, try that one.

Best regards, Ronald

OllyGoodchild

Post by OllyGoodchild » 15.04.2010, 08:33

Hi Ronald,
Thank you for reply.
I installed the snapshot you referred to and have got Rocrail controlling the points - although I need to change the mapping so the correct points operate. Should be easy enough.
Then went back to my original Rocrail version and replaced "xpressnet" in the ini file with "lenz" and that works OK, but with the same mapping problem.
There will probably be more queries but I think I am "finding my feet" at last.
Best regards
Olly

ron&bram
Posts: 2460
Joined: 11.06.2008, 19:34
Location: Heemskerk, Netherlands

Post by ron&bram » 15.04.2010, 09:37

Hi Olly,

What is your switch mapping problem? In the code there is a correction for the offset the Elite has, but this is only used when the parameter sublib="elite" is set in the Rocrail.ini.

Best regards, Ronald

OllyGoodchild

Post by OllyGoodchild » 15.04.2010, 17:42

Hi Ronald,
I may have misunderstood the instructions in the wikibooks/working_rocrail_with_Hornby ....... manual so I applied an offset to the address and ports. As I posted "elite" in the ini file the software applied the correction also giving a "double correction" - as you suspected. Quickly sorted and working OK now.
I cannot get the locomotive to respond but I only set it up quickly and haven't spent any time looking at that problem yet.
Best regards
Olly

Ol_Nick

Post by Ol_Nick » 30.08.2010, 08:14

Hi Olly, I've found some issues when using the Hornby Elite with Rocrail. The Elite will work fine one day, then when you try it again the next day, the loco commands somehow get screwed up. The first time it happened to me, the loco was sent all the correct function commands, so the loco lights would go on and off, and you could turn the DCC sound on and off, but the loco refused to move when commanded. This happened when using the Elite both with Rocrail and on its own.

I thought at first that it was a "one off", but it happened again the next day, but with different symptoms. This time the loco on the track was being sent repeated F10 commands, and no other commands at all.

Both times the problem was cured by putting the Elite back to the manufacturer's default settings via the menu. I think the problem may occur because the Elite may not like having the USB plug connected or disconnected when the Elite power is on.

Post Reply

Return to “Hornby Elite”