Hornby Elite with K8055 USB interface

Postby richardgould » 07.01.2013, 22:27

Hi
Has anyone tried using the Elite for train control and an external usb interface for controlling the accessoires. I am impressed with the K8055 which has 8 out 5 in as well as a couple of DAC and PSF outs/ins.

The Hornby accessory is a tad expensive

Richard
richardgould

Postby RAFHAAA96 » 10.01.2013, 17:13

Richard
The Elite is marketed as NMRA compliant therefore it should work with any external accessories that are also compliant. Many people successfully use Lenz 8-port acc decoders with the Elite.
Also Hornby's Railmaster train control software, which is presently only usable with the Elite has a pull down menu in the detection setup and one option is the Velleman P8055.
Hornby has not yet marketed any detection systems for their software.
I notice that the K8055 has been superceded by the 8055N.
Also note that Hornby is soon to market the e-Link that can be used with Railmaster instead of the Elite.
When I get mine I will try it with Rocrail to check compatibility.
Rob
Regards Rob.
Halton Brat
OO gauge - Hornby Elite & eLink CS & Accessory Decoders - Win 8 - 64 bit.
RAFHAAA96

Postby latki8 » 04.03.2013, 15:42

I have recently bought a Hornby Elite with computer control in mind and needed DCC for a loco with sound. I downloaded a trial copy of Hornby's Railmaster software and noticed it installs a K8055D driver. I have a K8055 already so I'm interested to see how they inter-react. I believe the 8055N is a new version of the 8055 but with USB bus isolation - the 8055 electrically connects anything connected to it directly to the PC's usb bus and could result in PC damage.

There is a post elsewhere by someone trying to do this with a Raspberry Pi and there are hints that code can be written in Python and Ruby. My choice would be Python using the 'Serial' module - there are several posts in its general use.

While Railmaster has some interesting features such as characteristics of all Hornby locos since 1975 and an attempt to match loco speeds on double-heading, I can't see that it addresses position detection, etc, for which I am thinking of using a Raspberry Pi.

I'd be interested to know if you make any progress.
latki8

Postby RAFHAAA96 » 04.03.2013, 15:57

@latki8
Hornby Railmaster software has recently been updated and the only detection tab drop down link is to their own loco detection system LDX48 which is still on the far horizon.
Delivery of the e-Link device is also delayed according to their Twitter page.
Rob
Regards Rob.
Halton Brat
OO gauge - Hornby Elite & eLink CS & Accessory Decoders - Win 8 - 64 bit.
RAFHAAA96

RaspberryPi with k8055 and maestro

Postby richardgould » 17.06.2013, 16:36

Hi

As an update I have configured and got working 2 k8055 and 2 maestro server controls as usb devices on the Raspberry Pi.

fiddly at times and definitely needed usleep's but now have server/client system using shared memory.

progress is being made - just got to interface Hornby Elite now

Richard
richardgould

Return to Hornby Elite