[Solved] Flank protection

Moderator: dadolphs

ejp

Re: Flank protection

Post by ejp » 30.09.2015, 11:20

Hi Rob

I agree. We have a misunderstanding.

From my point of view:

The sensor in Switch/General/Block ID is the occupancy sensor for the switch. That is if a car is standing in the switch, then the switch is occupied and shows this in Rocview. This does not mean that the switch cannot be switched.

The sensors in Switch/Wiring/Occupancy are the sensors that prevent the switch from being switched. They do not mean that the switch is shown as occupied.

That is if I want a switch to be shown in Rocview as occupied AND want it to prevented from switching, I must set the sensor in both places.

Route setting looks in Route/Sensors where all sensors in the route not included in blocks should be defined. The route setting also looks at the switches. If they are in correct position route setting is allowed (possible influence from rocrail.in parameter). Otherwise it calls the switch for switching. The switch looks at Switch/Wiring/Occupancy sensors to see if switching is allowed.
Maybe the sensor in Switch/General/Block ID has nothing to do with this but is only used for presentation.

I think that the wiki explains the options as I describe.

An example:
Suppose in out test layout the track from b1 to b2 is the main track from the station in b1 to the line in b2.
The track from b3 to b4 is a siding.

sw1 and sw2 should both be straight or turnout.

When switching sw1 and sw2, both switches must be unoccupied.

In my solution the switches may only be switched if both switches are unoccupied, that is I wil define as in my issue.
In your solution it is possible to switch one switch and not the other. If both switches are connected to the same decoder then switching the unoccupied switch will switch the occupied switch under the car. This is why I originally asked for the possibility to define 2 sensors.

Defining 2 sensors is nessesary to prevent unwanted and dangerous switching.

But as for now by checking both sensors: If a car is standing in sw2, then setting routes through sw1 is impossible. No trains run at all.

Regards
Erik :D

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 30.09.2015, 11:25

The sensor in Switch/General/Block ID is the occupancy sensor for the switch. That is if a car is standing in the switch, then the switch is occupied and shows this in Rocview. This does not mean that the switch cannot be switched.
No, this is only for the choice of the SVG symbol and does NOT effect the logic.

RTFM: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=swi ... en#blockid

ejp

Post by ejp » 30.09.2015, 11:59

Hi Rob

You are right. I had included this in
Maybe the sensor in Switch/General/Block ID has nothing to do with this but is only used for presentation.
Sorry.

But does not change the rest of the story.

Regards
Erik

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 30.09.2015, 12:32

ejp wrote:Hi Rob

You are right. I had included this in
Sorry.

But does not change the rest of the story.

Regards
Erik
the rest is also a misunderstanding / misinterpretation.

ejp

Post by ejp » 30.09.2015, 16:38

Hi Rob

OK let us stop the discussion now.

Whether I read the wiki correct or not the result is:

If I want to protect my switches against being switched under a car or train while not locked by route or flank protection, I must install occupancy sensors.

If I have 2 coupled switches on only 1 decoder, I must specify both sensors in Switch/Wiring. This has the effect that a route cannot be set through a unoccupied switch if the other is occupied.

If I want to set a route through an unoccupied switch while the other is occupied, only one sensor must be defined. This has the effect that the occupied switch may be switched if the unoccupied switch is clicked when it is not locked by a route or flank protection.

So my advice is: Do not use one decoder for two switches. Otherwise you will have to select between the 2 solutions.

I will end this thread as solved as the original problem with flank protection is with solved a brilliant result. Thank you for this. :D :D

I anyone wants to look at the problem I have described here, please start a new thread.

Many regards
Erik :D :D :D

Return to “Basic topics”