Rocnet support

Moderator: dadolphs

DavidH

Rocnet support

Post by DavidH » 05.10.2015, 12:01

If I use Raspberry Pi and Rocket hardware does that lock me into using Rocrail. (as opposed to JMRI etc)

My guess is it does, and I can understand why, but I thought it would be wise not to make assumptions.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: Rocnet support

Post by rjversluis » 05.10.2015, 12:59

The Rocnet Protocol is open and free to use and documented in the Wiki.
So every other software can implement it.

DavidH

Post by DavidH » 10.10.2015, 13:23

Hi Rob,

Is there a a RocNet library to support the RocNet protocol?

DavidH

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 10.10.2015, 14:13

DavidH wrote: Is there a a RocNet library to support the RocNet protocol?
in Rocrail yes.

DavidH

Post by DavidH » 31.10.2015, 22:07

This thread was started because I want to implement a fully automated shunting yard, using an Arduino (or other such microprocessor), which is programmed to know how the yard is set up, where everything is placed etc. This is OK for a prototype proof of concept.

The Arduino is connected to sensors - so it can see when a loco is 'IN' a block, and can trigger actions.

It seems I have two options:

1. Implement the layout in Rocrail with routes (to move trains between sidings) and actions to control coupling/decoupling (using T4T decouplers). So RocRail sets the turnouts and runs the train automatically. My problem is that I cannot see how to tell RocRail which route to select (it is in automatic mode) - is it as simple as using CTC buttons, or is CTC solely for Manual Operation of the layout?

or

2. Use RocRail to set up and 'programme' the RocRail nodes and then replace it by the arduino to issue the required commands to the RaspberryPi using Ethernet UDP and the RocNet Protocol - if this the solution I will need to implement the RocNet protocol - to control the loco, set points and read sensors - my question is there any handshake between Rockall and the Pi/dcc232 module - or can I just send it UDP messages?

I hope all this makes sense

DavidH

Return to “Basic topics”