Three way switch addressing

Moderator: dadolphs

mcnaugg

Three way switch addressing

Post by mcnaugg » 01.11.2015, 08:30

I want to introduce a three way switch into my layout but am unsure how to configure it. On a previous posting I was advised that Rocrail would operate the switch in the correct sequence providing I had it set as a three way.

I am using a Digitax system with a PR3, a number of Peters GCA50 and GCA77 units. I have set the GCA50 addresses to 82/1 thro 86/1 (only the first two are in use at the moment). I am using the first 8 ports of 82/1 for block sensors (via a GCA93) with the remaining 8 ports as spares. I want to use 83/1 for switches and have a GCA77 connected to it. (ports 1-8). With a two way switch I have set two consecutive ports to the same address ie 19 with the pulse button selected and one of the two C2 boxes ticked. Set like this my two way switch works ok.

How do I set up for a three way which actually has two separate two way coils fitted. If I designate the switch positions as left, straight and right, when switching from the left position it must be switched back to straight position before it can be switched to the right position and vice-versa. Do I have use four ports on the CGA50 for this function? If so which C2 boxes should be ticked.

I have not drawn a track plan yet to incorporate the 3 way switch as I would like to test the setup before laying track etc.

rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: Three way switch addressing

Post by rjversluis » 01.11.2015, 09:47

Hi,

just attach the plan.xml and the GCA50 setup.

mcnaugg

Re: Three way switch addressing

Post by mcnaugg » 04.11.2015, 16:15

As I said in my original post I have not drawn a Plan as yet as I want to test the 3 way switch before I incorporate it into a track layout. I have however placed a 3 way switch only on an existing track plan so that I have an indication of its working when selected manually. Since the 3 way is electrically two switches in one (left & straight and right and straight) it must be brought back to the straight position before it can be moved to the next left or right direction.

It is an old Casadio unit and I am not 100% sure of it's reliability hence the logic of wanting to test it first. For the purpose of this exercise I have it connected to a GCA76 and a GCA50. The GCA50 is set to 84-1 and the 3 way box has been selected. I believe that I need two addresses for the 3 way so I have selected 20 +21

If I operate the "virtual" 3 way on the existing track plan I get a visual indication on the screen that it has received a signal and also the Leds on the GCA 76 pulse but there seems to be a sequence problem.

Not sure what or how to send the GCA50 setup so I have attached 3 JPGs

Gareth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Basic topics”