Signal yellow aspect when next on route is red ?

Moderators: dadolphs, Moderators

Signal yellow aspect when next on route is red ?

Postby DeepPurple » 12.03.2017, 17:01

Hi,

I have three-states signals at the end of each of my blocks. I want to use it as a combination of main signal and distant signal (a signal being the main signal for the current block and the distant signal for the next block). I would like the signals to show yellow aspect if next block's signal is red. And that the train would reduce speed to V-mid when entering (ENTER event) the block protected by "DISTANT" signal, if the signal is yellow.

Is there a simple way to configure this behaviour, or do I have to work with Actions ?

I have read this excellent article : http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=signaling-en

But could not find a simple solution in there.

Thank you for you advice.
Philippe - Brussels (FR - NL - EN)
N layout with Digikeijs command station
DeepPurple

Re: Signal yellow aspect when next on route is red ?

Postby smitt48 » 12.03.2017, 17:09

Hi Philippe.

You could try something easy, but I am not sure it will work.
Make the signal the main in block a and the same signal the distant signal in block b.

Tom
Kind regards,
Tom Smit
Kralendijk, Bonaire - Dutch Caribbean

Märklin M & K-rails with ECoS2 (4.2.4) - Win10
RoSoft: S88n & WDD switch & SDD signal decoders
Display: Tri-ang from 1950's, Märklin from early 1960's
In build phase
smitt48

Postby Besra » 12.03.2017, 18:02

Hi Philippe,

I would like the signals to show yellow aspect if next block's signal is red.
By default, this is what Rocrail does: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... ext_is_red. If this option is not activated, yellow is shown.

Regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

Postby DeepPurple » 12.03.2017, 19:05

smitt48 wrote:You could try something easy, but I am not sure it will work. Make the signal the main in block a and the same signal the distant signal in block b.

Hi Tom, thank you for the try, but this does not work, indeed. I think because the signal receives several orders simultaneously...
DeepPurple

Postby DeepPurple » 12.03.2017, 19:16

Besra wrote:
I would like the signals to show yellow aspect if next block's signal is red.
By default, this is what Rocrail does: http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... ext_is_red. If this option is not activated, yellow is shown.

Hi Besra, thank you for the tip. I was confused by this article where they say that : "Green aspect when next is red: This option must be activated, otherwise Hp2 in place of Hp1 will be shown, when the main signal of the following block shows stop." This is only needed when you use separate distant signals (not only the main signals with three aspects, as I do).

But the train continues at full speed (V_Cru) when passing the yellow light. I would like to slow down to V_Mid at yellow (when ENTER or IN of this block is fired).
DeepPurple

Postby Besra » 12.03.2017, 23:46

Hi Philippe,

the cited article is written for the German signalling system: In Germany the main signal shows green if the next signal is red (however, a distant signal on the same signal post or a combined signal can show the next block's signal state; but the main signal is on green).
But the train continues at full speed (V_Cru) when passing the yellow light.
That's true. If I remember correctly, there was a discussion about this topic lately (German forum?) but I don't remember what the solution was :oops: .

Regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

Postby smitt48 » 13.03.2017, 13:25

Hi Philippe,

Maybe this is what you need?

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rou ... duce_speed

Tom
Kind regards,
Tom Smit

In build phase
smitt48

Postby DeepPurple » 13.03.2017, 20:40

smitt48 wrote:Maybe this is what you need?
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rou ... duce_speed

Not exactly. With this option, the train rides at vmid indeed but independently of the status of the next signal.
DeepPurple

Postby rjversluis » 14.03.2017, 13:22

Hi Philippe,

just use reserve second next block.
Best Regards, Rob.
:!: PS: Do not forget to attach the usual files.
:!: PS: Nicht vergessen die übliche Dateien an zu hängen.
[ macOS - Linux] - [ N: CBus - CAN-GCA ] - [ 0: RocNetNode - GCA-Pi ]
rjversluis
Site Admin

Postby DeepPurple » 14.03.2017, 19:12

rjversluis wrote:just use reserve second next block.

This is what I have done. And that's good, so I get green light when the train can reserve the two next blocks (B1=green, B2=yellow, B3=red eg.).But when entering B2, if B2's signal cannot be set to green (because B3's signal has to stay red), the train does not slow down at B2's yellow signal. The train begins to slow down when entering B3 (which has a red signal).

Now, it could be that it is the normal behavior, and that the meaning of a yellow signal is just "prepare to stop", and not "slow down"...
DeepPurple

Postby DeepPurple » 23.03.2017, 07:13

For those who understand Dutch there is another interesting discussion here on red yellow green signals.
DeepPurple

Postby rvooyen » 23.03.2017, 15:43

Hi,

Ik ben NLer maar ga in Engels verder.

Your questions has been posed many times in Rocrail and I have done this as well.

Also this is the reason that I for one have requested the so-called open block to be implemented.

You can see the difference in my vlogs on the subject about open and closed block operation here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQoqqZWpuE

You may also have used Koploper as I did many years ago. The implementation in Rocrail is based on closed block operation like mostly (not always) in Germany.

The only option to get a green-then-yellow signal is if the train has "Use Second Next block reservation" enabled as Rob has mentioned and the only way to get a signal to go to and remain on green if the blocks ahead are open is to use the Open Block option for that signal.

Many of us have had these discussions here about signal RYG operation here. So check my vlog on open versus closed block signalliing.
If the signal is yellow (NL=halve snelheid) then the train should slow if going faster than half track speed or the speed on the signal. This may eventually be implemented in Rocrail but it adds a lot of variables and commands that not everyone may want. SO you can fairly easily use a loc action to go to eg Vmid (or Vmin) if a signal shows yellow.

Since most layouts are not big enough to have many blocks in one direction on a main line, so seeing green then yellow then red along a line is not often possible.

Anyway, with reserve second next block and with some block signals using the open block function you can see signals stay on green or yellow on the layout - as I have.

A bit rambling perhaps but hope this helps.

Robert
Robert van Ooijen.
Building Rhineland2. 3 levels. CS=IB1-Loconet+HSI-s88, 70 blocks, 160 sensors, 4 boosters. M&K 3rail.
Goal: Scheduled Pass. trains, "OPS" with car cards etc.. Using andRoc and Rocweb/xs throttles.
Rocrail on WinXP.
rvooyen

Postby DeepPurple » 23.03.2017, 17:44

Thank you Robert. I shall have to experiment with this when my layout is big enough. On my test layout, having green lights is effectively difficult, as there are only four blocks. Next week the carpentry for my "definitive" layout should be ready, so that I hope to have a non trivial layout to master within a few months...

Philippe
DeepPurple

Postby Maurizio » 27.03.2018, 15:54

Hello everybody! It is aproximately 1 year that I try to programming a rocrail layout of my model railroad but I'm not able to reduce the speed in the presence of a yellow signal, as indicated in this discussion (during auto mode).
I try to make some actions but they don't work very well.
Someone can help me? The software work very well and owns the icons of Italian signals (it is excellent!)
Maurizio

Postby smitt48 » 27.03.2018, 16:05

Hi Maurizio,

Please attach your data and tell us the blocks that need that feature.
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=issue-en
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=issue-it
Tom
Kind regards,
Tom Smit

In build phase
smitt48

Return to Basic topics