Digikeijs DR4088 and Z21

Moderators: dadolphs, Moderators

Digikeijs DR4088 and Z21

Postby wimorrison » 01.10.2017, 10:27

I am planning to use DR4088 (probably LocoNet version) with my Z21 and reading the RocRail wiki is seems that I will need to use 2 sensors per block effectively making the DR4088 an eight block module rather than the 16 block module when used with RocRail - is my understanding correct?

I have seen that you can create and in2enter (or enter2in) pairing that will provide the required effect but it realise on timing rather than actual positions and with locos that have differing parameters I am concerned that this could lead to issues and I wonder if it is a reliable way to go forward, or should I just accept the use of 2 inputs on the DR4088 per block?

And lastly can I do bi-directional running using either method? I want to be able to run trains everywhere in each direction under automated control and I think that this is supported, but I would like to conform before I commit to building and reduce any errors made when I do start the building :)

Many thanks

Iain Morrison
wimorrison

Re: Digikeijs DR4088 and Z21

Postby smitt48 » 01.10.2017, 12:39

Hi Ian,

Welcome to Rocrail!

Preferably you should use 2 sensors per block. If the DR4088 has 16 inputs, then this module should be enough to control 8 blocks (based on 2 sensors per block). The sensor can be used in both directions.
+===S1======S2===-
from the left (+ in Rocrail terminology) S1 = enter, S2 = in.
from the right (-) S2 = enter, S1 = in.
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=block-sensor-en

Tom
Kind regards,
Tom Smit
Kralendijk, Bonaire - Dutch Caribbean

Märklin M & K-rails with ECoS2 (4.2.4) - Win10
RoSoft: S88n & WDD switch & SDD signal decoders
Display: Tri-ang from 1950's, Märklin from early 1960's
In build phase
smitt48

Postby wimorrison » 02.10.2017, 08:30

Thank you, this is as I thought I had read in the wiki - though you linked a page with a better explanation :)

Can I further ask what happens if you have a passing loop that is long enough to accommodate a train but has 2 sensors, neither of which are long enough to hold the complete train. do I somehow connect the 2 sensors into a single block for routing purposes otherwise another train could be sent into a block that is occupied by wagons/carriages overhanging the forward block ?

I am sorry if this is naïve but the wiki is good technically, not so good on general operation question such as a newbie like me has :)
wimorrison

Postby smitt48 » 02.10.2017, 10:11

Hi Ian,

though you linked a page with a better explanation

Thanks, I wrote it. :lol:
I had the same problem as you when I started with (Rocrail) computer control "how do you really do it". I am building my first layout and already had to move the sensors, so the turnouts would not be fouled.

do I somehow connect the 2 sensors into a single block

Yes, create a block for your siding.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tom Smit
Kralendijk, Bonaire - Dutch Caribbean

Märklin M & K-rails with ECoS2 (4.2.4) - Win10
RoSoft: S88n & WDD switch & SDD signal decoders
Display: Tri-ang from 1950's, Märklin from early 1960's
In build phase
smitt48

Return to Basic topics