Rocnetnode Dialog

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... netnode-en
fls

Rocnetnode Dialog

Post by fls » 04.03.2014, 12:09

Will do...

Just to come to think of it...
Why is it there at all?
The select boxes (left/right/lstep/rstep/etc..) are actually enough to do the job.
Maybe leaving out the 'fine-tuning) is less cluttered?
I actually use the left/right to fine tune the servo. The slidebar is kinda coarse anyway.
And it save code and anoying people like me reporting stuff...

I have some suggestions for the rocnet gui, if you are open to it???

rjversluis
Site Admin

Re: [fixed] Pwm port 16 not responding...

Post by rjversluis » 04.03.2014, 12:22

fls wrote:Why is it there at all?
For fine tuning servos; You do not have to use it.
fls wrote:Maybe leaving out the 'fine-tuning) is less cluttered?
Just one small button...
fls wrote:I have some suggestions for the rocnet gui, if you are open to it???
Feel free.

fls

Post by fls » 04.03.2014, 13:26

Hi Rob,

I'm just playin around in wxFormBuilder to see how things are programmed.
I program normally in perl and php and some weird languages for special systems.
C is a bit long ago...
Most of the time I do data-conversion with web as frontend.
So this is a bit new to me.

I found an 'old' rocnetnodedlg.fbp to play around, however it takes me time to learn how wxFormBuilder works.
I know it works with sizers and some mods did work as I wanted it...
I'm not trying to build/contribute anything, just to see if I can make some screendumps of my suggestions...

In what kind of way do you want the suggestions? do you want me to create just jpg files of the screens, or do you want a non-working fbp file?

Regards,

Fred

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 04.03.2014, 13:31

fls wrote:do you want me to create just jpg files of the screens, or do you want a non-working fbp file?
A sketch or other image is OK; No need to fight with the wxFormBuilder. ;)

fls

Re: Rocnetnode Dialog

Post by fls » 05.03.2014, 07:12

Hi Rob,

These things just popped in mind. Just to make it clear; this is not in any way critic on the works you do!
I really appreciate all the effort you do and marriage IT with model crafting...

Just my thoughts:

Index Tab:
1) Remove the index tab; same info is on the RocNet tab (and more)

RocNet Tab:
1) Add "show" per selected node
2) Add "shutdown" per selected node
3) Add "update" per selected node
4) Do not add Putty button. Try to explain the use for it to my father...

Options Tab:
1) Device description. Who, besides geeky sysadmin nerds, knows what this means??? Too be honest, I can't think of something else... I guess something like "Raspi B V2" (= /dev/tty/ACM0 ?)
2) I2C Detect. This is a difficult one; I like the address recognition.
However, if GCA modules are used, you could say PI02-1 , PI02-2 etc. Or a combination of both (preferred)
See next point....

Port setup tab:
1) Call it "I/O setup" or "PI02"
2) Type; Make it clear as "Input" and "Output"; not zero's and one's...Not everyone is a sysadmins...
3) make tabs/or a selection of the PI02-1, PI02-2 cards with the port numbers. Much cleared for non-sysadmins;
The blue (or red) Address at the bottom is not clear enough.
Otherwise; Put the address at the top centre;
Maybe filter out the not connected (red) addresses; Why setting up ports for cards that are not connected?
I never tested what happens with port numbers if 1 address is skipped;
0x20, 0x22. I Need to test this on a breadboard... (0-16, 33-49??)
Although on the frontend i think it is better just to count the ports; 1-16 over and over.
4) Delay; delay what? Seconds/Minutes? Just put mSec in title or next to buttons.
5) Put the test button on the last colom. Maybe a light bulb as icon on/off or just a green/red 3D dot.
6) Try to lose the "get" button; The output should be the same as the raspi config.; after set; do a get; etc...
7) Delete? Delete what?

Channel setup tab:
1) Call it "Servo/PWM" (Although who know what PWM stands for and what is does??) or "PI03"
2) move the delay Colom to the right of the "right steps"
3) Delay; delay what? Seconds/Minutes? Just put mSec in title or next to buttons.
4) Loose the fine-tune...
5) Test button icon a green/red 3D dot.
6) Same as the I/O setup; try to lose the Get button and delete button...

Macro tab;
1) Make a dropdown select box for the Card (e.g, PI02-1 , PI03-1)
2) Make a dropdown select box for the port (e.g. 12)
3) Make Value selectable (on;off)
4) Delay with buttons; just like I/O and Servo/PWM

Update Tab:
1) No need; put in in the RocNet tab;

In rocview settings;

1) Make a setting for "unhide all menus"
2) Hide menu's for not installed hardware.
As an example JMRI does not show the SPROG menu if you didn't installed one. Much cleaner look.
So, no Rocnode defined; Or Loconet, or Canbus etc...
3) In rocnet config; Make a setting "auto shutdown on exit" or something like that.
So if you close rocview you do not get the popup for shutting down the rocnetnodes.

If you need someone to make all these changes; I'm available; I try to educate myself in using wxFormBuilder.
I know that new contributors are most of the time not welcome; Hench, they are not familiar with this project, but I'm willing to learn...

All this stuff I described/suggested is not showing critic on the project. I just noticed, as a new user, how much there is unclear.
So you really need to read the wiki and that is sometimes lacking information.

I use my father who has no/just a bit knowledge of computers, to use the program and cards.
To describe it: He sees a Card, With connectors on it. They count from 1..16. It is the second card..
So he want to select the "main card" (=raspi), then the "second card with connectors on it for the sensors" (=PI02) and then connector 3 (=port 3, if you start counting with 1...)
He doesn't know (or care) about ssh to the raspi, or do a "I2Cdetect". He doesn't know (or care) about 0x20 or 0x22. He just set the dipswitches for the first PI02 card on "00" and the second PI02 card on
"10". Yes "10"...

My daytime job is programming and I need the program a UI that new users can use without an in-depth knowledge.
Therefor I know that if you do not explain the field properties; wrong assumptions are made. (Like times; What seconds; minuts;days??? I see them missing throughout rocview... )
You could use a mouse over tooltip, however in practice users do not wait that second for the tooltip to appear...

I'm still fighting with wxFormBuilder, but give you MY THOUGHTS and MY OPINION of these screens.
Maybe I'm the only person dumb person and re-RTFM...

Please share your thoughts...!

With friendly regards,

Fred

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 05.03.2014, 07:18

Hi Fred,

tnx, I will let it as it is now. ;)
If you need someone to make all these changes; I'm available; I try to educate myself in using wxFormBuilder.
Thats only the view of the dialog; The logic implementation of this dialog contains of 2000 cpp lines...

The dialog is well documented if you are willing to read it:
http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... e-setup-en

fls

Post by fls » 05.03.2014, 09:44

I'm willing to read it, I actualy read it many times...
I start to understand it, but - for example - my father does not...!

Just to make it more accessable for more people other than sysadmins...

Just my 2-cents...

Regards,

Fred

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 05.03.2014, 12:19

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is required.
Does your farther understand that line from a commercial manufacturer?
Sounds to me a Model Railroader is been considered as a System Administrator.
If he is not he will probably stuck with analog model railroading.

fls

Post by fls » 06.03.2014, 12:15

No, I don't think he would understand!
Programs that using 'additional' software are mostly installing that automatically.
e.g JMRI runs on Java. When java is not detected, it will download it and install it.
It is just a matter of next-next-next-finish for him...
Same for flash, adobe, etc...

I did notice that programming a train with Uhlenbrock Basic is no problem for him.
It is no problem for him to change some CV codes and understand what they are changing.
I showed him DecoderPro to do the same, but with a computer, and he managed to use it perfectly and now prefer using it over the Uhlenbrock.
The GUI is rather intuitive (DecoderPro). On startup, initial question which gear you are using, then the program recognise the ID on programming track etc.
But that is the CV programming side... rather simple...
I talked with many other persons on a tradefairs, and many are a little bit older. They now how to use the computer, but call in a computer guy if problems arise.

Block detection and stuff (ground-detection, 3-rail) and a pcb to convert it to computer is also no problem for him.
e.g. the manual describes address settings and then it should work. If not, he will reset it to factory default and tries again.
He bought some Uhlenbrock and ESU stuff and it is working for him.
To my opinion there are other ways to control modelcrafting e.g. raspberry/arduino/beaglebone/etc. And Rocrail. (koploper, a dutch program, is eol with support. New technology is not supported)

I have seen that you changed the labels, and it makes now much more sense! Thank you for that.
But I guess you will have the same? You donwload a new program and your intuition walks you through the usage.
Details, see manual.

That is what I was trying to get clear. I do not think a model railroader is considered a sysadmin.
Well, most people i've met are not... They are of a different generation...
When I overlook the tradefair at a glance, I see they are contribute 90% of the people.

Keep the good work going! Again, just MY thoughts, observations and suggestions. 1 men only...

Regards,

Fred

Return to “RocNetNode”