Need help setting outputs for switches and signals

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=roc ... netnode-en
francisco

Need help setting outputs for switches and signals

Post by francisco » 26.07.2015, 01:51

Ok, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated so I thought it's going to be better to ask for some help on what to expect. I'm not sure if it's me, I've read the docs for the setup, but I'm not sure if I'm overwhelmed with the options or if I'm not getting it.

At the moment I have two problems: Signals and Switches, for signals I've built a GCA187 and for switches GCA125

In both cases I'm having a lot of trouble getting the outputs to work and I think my main problem is the tremendous amount of options to setup these items and how many of them are only useful in very specific circumstances. BTW, I've just started with this hobby and some terms that may seem obvious are not for me.

What works:
1. The hardware (tested manually and everything works as expected)
2. Addressing (I get some output from the addressing I'm assigning to my signals and switches, so I've got the correct outputs)

What doesn't:
1. Outputs, I cannot get the expected values.

Main questions:
1. Is it expected to setup RocNetNode Pi02 Port Setup in a specific way depending on what interface is going to be connected? Right now in my prototype I have 4 ports configured as inputs (sensors, GCA173 working as expected) and 4 as outputs. With this I mean, should I check blink, invert, toggle, etc.

2. For the turnouts, the interface expects the output to be a logical 1 or 0 depending if the turnout is straight or thrown. However, the most I get the software to do is to send a 1 momentarily and then it returns to zero, unless I configure "Toggle" in the step above.
The farthest I've been able to do is to configure the switch as in the attach, and the output is always 0 and it does a small 1 pulse when I do straight, no change with thrown. But for example, if I invert gate values, when I try to change the switch, it will switch back to the previous position (the icon in rocview)

3. Same problem with the signals, I cannot get a stable output, it's only pulses unless I setup outputs as "toggle". I've setup as in http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=gca187-en but I honestly don't understand what red and green mean in the first screen show and what red and green address mean in the second.

I'll probably have more questions but let's start from these.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smitt48

Re: Need help setting outputs for switches and signals

Post by smitt48 » 26.07.2015, 02:04

Hi Francisco,

I am no expert in Rocnet.
But it would help if you include the trc files and document when you try to move a switch and when a signal.

Good luck Tom

francisco

Post by francisco » 26.07.2015, 02:14

Tom, I haven't included trace files because to be honest what I'm looking initially is to know how I should configure this, I believe that it's a configuration issue rather than rocrailnode not working, so I'd just be attaching trace files for a configuration that is incorrect anyway.

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 26.07.2015, 12:52

Hi Francisco,
I haven't included trace files because to be honest what I'm looking initially is to know how I should configure this, I believe that it's a configuration issue rather than rocrailnode not working, so I'd just be attaching trace files for a configuration that is incorrect anyway.
True, but Rob is very good at discovering what is going on by reading trc files (years of practice :mrgreen: ).
Send the files and someone will find what is not quite right.

francisco

Post by francisco » 27.07.2015, 06:24

In the end I found out that I did have to change specific settings in the rocnetnode config, setting the delay to zero for each output so that the output will stick to the actual value. Very hard to get this from the documentation thou, the info is there, but there are so many options for everything that is quite hard to get the basics. And I'm still unsure if it's quite right, I feel there might be many ways to do one thing.
Now I have my turnouts, signals and sensors working, time to do some automation :)

Return to “RocNetNode”