Best Practice: 4 sensor sections in each block?

Best Practice: 4 sensor sections in each block?

Postby MadMax » 27.07.2018, 15:54

Gents,

Best practice says; Plan at least 4 sensor sections in each block; Using two of them will do at start.
I've seen many discussions about the number of sensors, but I thought the conclusion was "most of the time 2"?
I have sensor ports available, should I add them to longer blocks?

Thanks,
MM
MadMax

Re: Best Practice

Postby smitt48 » 27.07.2018, 16:25

Hi MM,

You can, but 2 sensors per block are best. For very long station blocks you could add a "shortin" or "pre2in" sensor.

Tom
Kind regards,
Tom Smit
Kralendijk, Bonaire - Dutch Caribbean

Märklin M & K-rails with ECoS2 (4.2.4) - Win10
RoSoft: S88n & WDD switch & SDD signal decoders
Display: Tri-ang from 1950's, Märklin from early 1960's
In build phase
smitt48

Re: Best Practice

Postby Besra » 27.07.2018, 16:53

Hi Max,

generally two is enough. In general you will not benefit from more than two provided that BBT is used. In special cases more sensors may be useful.
For instance asymmetric stops in a block. As an example a block with 2 and 4 sensors, respectively.
Code: Select all
|-----A-----|-----B-----|
|--A--|--B--|--C--|--D--|

In the two sensors configuration trains coming from the left will start breaking at the beginning of A, trains coming from the right will start breaking at the beginning of B. If the block is extremely long, breaking may take a while.
With the four sensors configuration trains coming from the can start breaking at the beginning of B (or C) depending on which one is defined as enter in the respective direction. From the right trains may start breaking at C (or B) instead of D. Furthermore, you can choose which of the sensors is defined as in in the particular direction. For instance, trains from left to right will start breaking in B and stop in C while trains from right to left may start breaking in D and stop in B.
All of that Rocrail can do for you in the two sensors configuration, too. But it requires more work to do on timings and config in my opinion.
The decision remains up to you. You can prepare for 4 sensors while using only 2 by simply connecting the sections electrically. In the above example A connected to B and C connected to D gives you 2 sensors but you may separate them for later use.

Regards
Bernd
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

Re: Best Practice: 4 sensor sections in each block?

Postby MadMax » 28.07.2018, 12:59

I agree fully with both, but shouldn't the wiki/best practice be rephrased then? "At least 4" sounds like you might as well plan for 6, or 8....:)
MadMax

Postby RainerK » 28.07.2018, 14:25

Hi,

meantime the Wiki did get a correction
Best Regards, es grüßt RainerK

Win10 64Bit / DCC++ with Arduino Uno / Motor shield and LocoNet GCA85, 50, 93 and 136.
Special interests: DIY electronic assemblies. http://www.rainermoba.blogspot.com
Planning replace the coincidence by the mistake
RainerK

Postby MadMax » 28.07.2018, 20:17

Perfect, and thanks for the input as well! I'm contemplating adding a 'center' sensor in some blocks. As in:

A----B----C

Where left to right uses A as enter and B as in. From the right using C as enter and B as in. This to make locs stop IN a tunnel instead of peeking out. Does it make sense?
MadMax

Postby Besra » 28.07.2018, 20:48

Hi Max,

Does it make sense?

only you can decide if it makes sense on your layout. Build a test track and give it a try. Also try using the 'center train' option of BBT using only A and C. The result should be comparable if not the same. After that you'll know exactly which approach suits your needs.

Regards
Besra
Maerklin H0, DCC and MM, Intellibox (I) via ULNI, Booster Tams B4, Throttle Digitrax UT4, LocoNet.
Loco decoders: Zimo, Uhlenbrock, Maerklin & ESU.
Rocweb, Win10 32bit & 64bit
Besra

Return to General