RCP Protocol question  [✔]

Dagnall

Re: RCP Protocol question

Post by Dagnall » 10.01.2019, 21:41

Rob, thanks.
I do monitor <funcmd, and can see when states are changed, but you are incorrect when you say
rjversluis wrote:
10.01.2019, 19:03
You do not need it because you get informed in case something did change.
I hope that this reasoning translates ok :
  • When a RCP throttle (or other tool) is turned on and Rocrail has been running some time, Loco function states may have been previously changed by other throttles or actions.
  • So, When my wifi throttle selects a specific loco to control,
    • I get all the <lcprops data , which include data on the fn=='f0'=="lights" toggled state
    • I can look for <fn fnchanged messages to track any subsequent function changes
    • --- But I have to assume all other function states are "false"
    • ---This is OK for 'Momentary' functions
    • But the throttle cannot see if something else had been previously changed before the throttle was turned on (or can you supply a Crystal Ball?? -o . )
  • Of course, once a loco is selected, the throttle watches it and can monitor any subsequent changes and synchronize its knowledge of that function state.
  • But I miss any function states that were changed BEFORE I started looking at that particular loco

What I have seen is a message that explicitly included all the function states, although I am unsure of exactly how I got it. I suspect it was in response to a badly commanded message, back before I tried to avoid getting "exception messages". From what you said just now there is no way to deliberately (legally??) get this message, so I may have to try and discover how I managed to get it back when I used "illegal" commands...

I will let you know if I make any progress!

Cheers
D

Dagnall

Post by Dagnall » 12.01.2019, 10:59

Rob - Quick question about the Clock and the '<clock ' Message: Typical example below:

Code: Select all

<clock divider="1" hour="9" minute="51" wday="6" mday="12" month="1" year="2019" time="1547286671" temp="20" bri="255" cmd="sync"/>
My question is: In relation to the seconds on the (SUPER) "Swiss style" Clock on Rocview, WHEN do you send this message?
:?: I had assumed that it would be sent when the Seconds hand reached 60. -( to 'Synch', like the Swiss clocks) But I have seen it sent many seconds after that.
:?: If it is sent at semi random times, How can I extract the "RocRail" Seconds from the long 'time' number so I can synchronize to the second with the RocRail Clock?

As usual, many thanks
Dagnall

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 12.01.2019, 11:09

this event is broadcasted every model minute.

Dagnall

Post by Dagnall » 12.01.2019, 11:29

Thanks, That is logical and what I expected.
I will explore why it takes so long on my MQTT system to actually get to the node!
(Or I can just show Hrs and Minutes :) )

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 12.01.2019, 11:38

Schedules do not need seconds.
Even minutes are too fine scale for most scheduled trains... 8) ("Komme nicht zu spät! Sei punktlich!" (Tom Waits sings 'pünktlich' not correct.))

Dagnall

Post by Dagnall » 12.01.2019, 11:50

I agree, I was just trying to sort a minor issue I had noticed!.. You must be aware by now I do not give up easily :)
What I have found since sending is that if using Real time, the <clock sync can be a few seconds after the clock face seconds reaches 60, but in Fast clock, its always sent right on the minute..

Dagnall

Post by Dagnall » 13.01.2019, 19:55

Rob, what is the definition of the time="1547418526" variable used in Clock, and does it have any direct relationship to the Displayed RocView clock,
Is there a simple way to extract hrs mins and seconds from it? It looks like a seconds count, but from when??
(I am trying to get my clock to work nicely with clock freeze etc..)

Thanks
Dagnall

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 13.01.2019, 20:03

Hi Dagnall,

this number is standardised; The C time() function.
The C library function time_t time(time_t *seconds) returns the time since the Epoch (00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970), measured in seconds.

Dagnall

Post by Dagnall » 14.01.2019, 18:13

Rob, Hi,
This is a couple of very Trivial points, but may help if anyone else sees a similar issues.

:!: First, I have found that Rocrail runs slightly slower than my PC clock, so it eventually gets quite a long way out of time. I appreciate that Rocrail runs "rocrail time", but it would be nice to have a "synch" with real time option. (Unless I have simply not found it yet :?: )

:!: Second and more important: I have also found that the Rocnet Synch time message is not sending "seconds" in data[7] but is sending Temperature. (Easily tested by changing the temperature in the Clock Service window tool).

I will not bore you with how I found this, but now I know why my Rocnet node seconds were always setting to "20", and not "0" :!:
Assuming this is what you meant to have and not a mistake, it would be nice to have the https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=ro ... et-prot-en clock description corrected to save anyone else being equally confused. :) The Rocnet clock message also appears to have a data[9] byte, (seen as 255 on my system), what is that?

Cheers

Dagnall

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 14.01.2019, 18:16

thats the clock brightness:

Code: Select all

rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 2] = mon+1;
      rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 3] = mday;
      rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 4] = hours;
      rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 5] = mins;
      rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 6] = temp;
      rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 7] = wClock.getdivider(node);
      rn[RN_PACKET_DATA + 8] = wClock.getbri(node);

Dagnall

Re: RCP Protocol question  [✔]

Post by Dagnall » 14.01.2019, 18:37

Thanks, and I saw you have updated https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=ro ... et-prot-en
Brilliant. :beer: :rr_for_ever: :beer:

Return to “DIY Hardware”