Conversion to Zip Installer - My experience

apemberton

Conversion to Zip Installer - My experience

Post by apemberton » 14.07.2019, 11:12

I have successfully installed Rocrail Devuan ARM64 version 15697 on my test Armbian system.

However it was not without some problems. Firstly I had made the assuption that a .deb package would be enclosed in the .zip file. I wasn't aware the whole installation methodology had changed. Only by looking at the shell files did I see what was intended. So no more administrator installation.

OK so I used the 'desktoplink.sh' script. This automatically installed some wx files automatically and this has upset the Armbian screen and I have NO icons on my screen. The drop down menu is present. I did change the desktop display to the default Xfce4 mouse display but no icons - no disk icon nothing. However this is not mission critical to me. My test system uses a 1920x1080 screen but my yet to be updated production system uses a 3840x2160 screen.

The svg directory was in a different place from before and the userthemes (which I use for my own symbols) and Amercanthemes were still zipped. Basically my old configuration was lost and I had to rebuild it in accordance with the new file layout.

Once RR was installed, I found that I had to reconfigure Rocview and Rocrail to match my old plan directories including where my user theme is. I had to alter the screen layout to resemble my original structure and the fonts used in the Loco frame are too big compared with the previous incarnation of Rocrail. I was impressed with the speed that my plan got displayed though. However, the old delay occurred when I switched the track plan to 50% zoom. I still have to sort out some less important items but so far it works.

I would, however, suggest that a strong warning be issued in the Important Changes field and in the Wiki. There is a note about the change to .zip installer in the download page of the wiki but I do not feel it gives the necessary stress on the impact of the change. Plainly an administrator free installation is beneficial for security but installing system files without asking is not right.

Onward and upward.

smitt48

Re: Conversion to Zip Installer - My experience

Post by smitt48 » 14.07.2019, 12:26

Hi,

Did you use the latest Linux installer?
sudo apt install libwxgtk3.0
sudo zypper install wxWidgets-3_0-devel
These are now included.
Tom

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 14.07.2019, 12:52

Hi,

I changed the wiki somewhat to add a warning for existing installations. Please comment if additional statements are necessary.
https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rocrailonastick-en

Thanks Tom

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 14.07.2019, 12:55

Just tested under Devuan and Desktop LXDE.
Works as expected, and the desktop shortcut does work correctly.

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 14.07.2019, 13:00

Hi Rob,
Works as expected,
It depends on what you expect. You know what to expect as you wrote the code accordingly. Pemberton did not know what to expect!

Tom

rjversluis
Site Admin

Post by rjversluis » 14.07.2019, 13:03

Hi Tom,

I will provide the *.deb installer too for Linux at the next run.

apemberton

Post by apemberton » 14.07.2019, 20:53

smitt48 wrote:
14.07.2019, 12:26
Hi,

Did you use the latest Linux installer?
sudo apt install libwxgtk3.0
sudo zypper install wxWidgets-3_0-devel
These are now included.
Tom
Tom,

The 'sudo apt' command is built into the shell script 'desktoplink.sh'. I don't think you can get later than Debian Buster's implementation.

I have no mention of the 'sudo zypper' command. Well not in the version that I downloaded. Anyway why should I need a development version of wxWidgets as I cannot build from scratch?

Some further observations:-

I am using Armbian/Debian Buster rather than Stretch - it seems updates are in transition from 'testing' to 'stable'.

On starting Rocview/Rocrail I found that the system fonts had become a bit large and caused the loco dialog panel to take more space than I need. I modified the system fonts from 10 point to 8 point using 'settings manager'. This, of course alters the entire system but I like it. I cannot recall the original font size before installation of parts of 'libwxgtk3.0'.

The screen wallpapers have become Xfce4 default rather than the Armbian page. Not really a problem. Again, 'settings-manager' is used to adjust.

I am happy with the zip file installation method but I just walked into a situation that I could not have foreseen the consequences. When I get to update my main RR system, I will use the zipfile method but I will be aware of the potential upsets and with a 4K screen, some of the settings may be different. Forewarned is fore'ARM'ed! :mrgreen:

Tony

apemberton

Post by apemberton » 14.07.2019, 21:07

Just another thought ran across my mind right now, :idea:

It would be nice if the script file had a 'run once' facility that invoked a text script of new instructions, warnings etc. That would help avoiding conversion/installation issues and then stop irritating users with repeated instructions!

'Psst - I shall say this only once......'

Tony

smitt48

Post by smitt48 » 15.07.2019, 14:15

Hi Tony,

Please verify with a fine tooth comb.
https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rocrailonastick-en
New is installwx in the download.
'Psst - I shall say this only once......'
Please say it every time you think it is necessary. We want to make this as "idiot" proof as we can.

Thanks Tom

Return to “Installation”